Thread: Unidentified WW2 Bomber Crew. Help Please.

Thanks

Default Unidentified WW2 Bomber Crew. Help Please.

Hello Folks ,
    Could I please ask you to have a look at my thread on Roots Chat.I have put this link hopefully it will work and take you there. I am afraid I cant put the Photo on here hence the Link.
    Thank You All in Advance,
    Best Regards Rog.
    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,306290.0.html

Thanks

Default Help on gallantry awards

Hi all,

Someone has come up with the fact that this pic may be of Peter Birch's crew of 50 Squadron (a similar bit of nose art was on his Lanc).
    Therefore those of you with the Taverner books or Hugh (????) may be able to help with citations/details ofthe awards to the crew below:

E C J WOOD - there is only one who received a medal with those initials:
    Ernest Charles John Wood (61958)
    Awarded a DFC 11/6/43 whilst with 50 Squadron (whilst a F/Lt)

W T Gray - again only one with those initials:
    William Thomas Gray (580652/45273)
    Awarded DFM 13/9/40 with 61 Squadron as a Sgt
    Awarded DFC 11/6/43 with 50 Squadron as a F/Lt

S Allen- only one with a single initial
    Samuel Allen (974032)
    Awarded DFM 20/4/1943 with 50 Squadron as F/Sgt

All the best,

Ann

Thanks

Default Birch crew

This is certainly the birch crew of 50 sqn.

certainly Birch, Gray, and Allan flew on the crew as below as mentioned in my book 'A Shaky do the Skoda works raid-16/17th April 43

Lancaster ED828 VN-S 50 S/L Birch P.C.
    Sgt Mooney W.
    P/O Medani J.
    F/S Allan S.
    F/L Wood E.C.J.
    F/O Gray C.W.
    Sgt Hartman J.M.

Peter

Thanks

Default Unidentified WW2 Bomber Crew. Help Please.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello All,
    The latest update.
    Thanks to input from members of Roots Chat , RAF Commands & Lancaster Archives Forums. (and a bit of my own digging arround) I am now well ahead with some of the details .

I dont want to fall into the "assuming " trap again so please, please pull me up if you spot any errors.

50 Sqn.RAF in 1943 took part in the first shuttle-bombing raid (when the targets were a radar factory at Friedrichshafen and the Italian naval base at Spezia), and the epic raid on the German V-weapons experimental establishment at Peenemunde. Also many other targets of importance.

It now looks pretty certain my photo is of Sqdn/Ldr. Peter Cliff Birch. DFC and Crew.
    He and F/L Wood E.C.J. F/O Gray C.W. F/S Allan S. (with 3other members who dont appear to match any of the names on the photo) flew on this opp.

16/17th April 1943 Skoda works raid-
    Lancaster
    ED828 VN-S
    50 Sqn

Crew S/L Birch P.C.
    Sgt Mooney W.***
    P/O Medani J.***
    F/S Allan S.
    F/L Wood E.C.J.
    F/O Gray C.W.
    Sgt Hartman J.M.***
    ( *** don't seem to be in My Photo)

I notice that Flight Sergeant S.Allan was awarded his DFM on the 20 April 1943.I wonder if it was related to this particular opp , or because he had completed the required number of opps to qualify!

Hopefully some kind soul will have access to citation data for all the medals my people were awarded.

According to Lost Bombers site , ED828 was lost on the Bochum Opp.of 12/13 June 1943 (with a totally different crew listed) together with ED 429 & ED472. also from 50 Sqn.

It would be great now if someone has info to date and list the actual crew pictured in my photo.

The rather crude Nose art donkey compared with the fine example on the pic shown from the book and the fact that F/S Allan is not wearing a medal ribbon in my photo, supports my thoughts that it is a much earlier crew prior to April 1943. It couldnt be later than 12 June if the a/c is ED828 (we have no id marks !!).

Here lies the Question ? ED 828 was code letter "S" for Sammy . Would there have been another replacement a/c lettered "S" after ED 828 was destroyed on the 12/13 June.
    This could mean the Picture in the Book of Peter Birch in the cockpit of "S" Sammy. could have been much later in the War.

We dont appear to have names Medani, Hartland or Mooney on Photo. They dont appear on the CWWG site as casualties so presume crew shuffling had taken place.

Also we have Definite persons on Photo as Sid Andrews (2nd Left .My Godfather) and R Simpson and 2 undeciphered names, not listed as crew
    I hope I am not rambling on to bore you ,but I dont want to miss any detail and welcome all your ideas.
    Thank you all again for your generous support in giving time and effort to help me. Please stay with me /us and hopefully the whole story will unfold eventually.
    Looking forward to more input .
    I say, Best Wishes to you All ,
    Appreciatively Yours ,
    Roger.

Thanks

Medani was Calvert's Navigator during the last half of 1942. and early 1943. Calvert was rested in Feb 1943, so Medani may have changed crews.

Distinguished Flying Medal. - 15 December 1942
    1375895 Flight Sergeant John MEDANI, No. 50 Squadron.
    As pilot and navigator of aircraft respectively.Flying Officer Calvert and Flight Sergeant Medani have participated in numerous sorties, including attacks on heavily defended areas in Western Germany and daylight raids on Le Creusot and Milan. During a recent sortie, Flying Officer Calvert's aircraft was subjected to heavy antiaircraft fire, sustaining much damage. The wireless operator was killed and both the pilot and navigator were wounded. The aircraft became difficult to control but Flying Officer Calvert, although he had a piece of shell splinter embedded in his left arm, set course for home. Flight Sergeant Medani, despite the severity of his wound and subsequent loss of blood, continued his duties until he collapsed. Even so, he succeeded in giving his pilot a final course which enabled him to reach an airfield in this country where he made a skilful crash landing in bad visibility. Both these members of aircraft crew displayed great courage and tenacity in the face of harassing circumstances.

Thanks

William Mooney

Distinguished Flying Medal 10 September 1943

1501390 Sergeant William MOONEY, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 50 Squadron.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grandarog View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Lost Bombers site , ED828 was lost on the Bochum Opp.of 12/13 June 1943 (with a totally different crew listed) together with ED 429 & ED472. also from 50 Sqn.

Here lies the Question ? ED 828 was code letter "S" for Sammy . Would there have been another replacement a/c lettered "S" after ED 828 was destroyed on the 12/13 June.
    Roger.

Lost Bombers is a fraudulent plagiarising site which does not state the owner or refer to its sources (actually it is largely copied from the work of other authors) See note on policy regarding lost bombers site and read the thread disscussing it on this site. The owner of this site deletes references to the site.

Re the code letter S of the aircraft. yes it would be issued to another airframe when an aircraft was lost. The airframe serial eg. ED828 would not be re issued.

Peter

Thanks

Default Bomber crew identified!

Hello,

I found an interesting photo in my late father's album. It is the photo you are discussing on this forum.
    My father's photo has the names of the crew.

Left to right:

3rd from left: Pilot Sqnldr (P. Birch).
    4th from left: Navigator (W T Gray (Bill) My father.
    5th from left: Air Bomber (F/L wood).
    6th from left: Wirless Operator ( P/O Allen).
    7th from left: Mid Upper Gunner (F/L Trevor Roper).
    8th from left: Rear Gunner (Sgt Hartman).
    9th from left: Flight Engineer (F/S Branch).

If anyone had any pictures of W T Gray it would be very appreciated.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

The photo must have been taken some time between 20th Nov 42 and 8th March 43, as this is the only time that this crew were together, (12 ops) before Trevor-Roper left for 617sqdn, according to the ORB.

Thanks

Default Gray 50 sqn

Hello 'big simon' I have sent you a private message with my contact details. I would like to correspond re your father's service in 50 sqn.

Regards Peter