Thread: Dual Names for the Same Service Number

Thanks

Default Dual Names for the Same Service Number

Hello All,

There is an RAF Officer’s Service Number of 140168.

I have this as belonging to (a) Jacques Schmeidler who was Commissioned in to the RAFVR Met Branch as a Fg Off on 1 Apr 1943, or (b) Eric Dudley who was Commissioned in to the RAFVR(T) as a Fg Off on 24 Apr 1950.

It was not unknown, in WW2, for persons living in UK with German sounding names to anglicise them. Jacques Schmeidler and Eric Dudley do not seem, to me, to be an obvious ‘conversion’.

During my examination of WW2 (etc) Commissioned meteorologists I have come across several instances of persons already holding a Commission in the RAFVR Met Branch who were then Commissioned into the RAFVR(T) – sometimes at a different rank (but with the same Service Number) – BEFORE they had Resigned, or Relinquished, their RAFVR Commissions. Subsequently their RAFVR(T) Commissions are recorded in the LG as having been Resigned/Relinquished. And only then – later - is their RAFVR Commission recorded as having been Resigned/Relinquished. Holding two Commissions simultaneously! Very odd?!!

Can someone who’s computer is on more harmonious terms with the LG than mine please check that the above is correct and/or solve the apparent conundrum of two persons with the same Service Number.

No hurry. TIA.

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,
    AIR 78 has:
    Dudley Eric 2210438
    Dudley Eric 2504065 (with remark NSA)
    Schmeidler Jacques 1268115 (remark F)

LG 23 May 1947: There is Schmeidler Jacques, Poland, Mechanical Engineer and full address:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...7963/page/2342

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Hi All,

No indication on Schmeidler’s Commissioning (LG 8 Jun 1943 p 2621) that the RAF knew him as an OR (1268115 Enlisted (various centres) Apr/May 1940). If they were Commissioned from the ranks the LG always put the OR number/rank first (even, for some time, after the Numbers stopped being changed (in these cases the two numbers are identical)).

Ditto Dudley’s Commissioning (LG 8 Aug 1950 p 4057). Except that the earlier of the AIR 78 Dudley’s (2210438) Enlisted Padgate Oct 1942, and the later Dudley (2504065) Enlisted as a National Service Recruit (NSA) – not ex-Air Training Corps – twixt Jan 1947 and Jun 1953 (he's nearly into my number block!!!).

So mojmir has turned up some good Primary Information – but all that it has done is to ask more questions! The only saving grace is that there have been many such instances of this on this Forum in the past (and will be in the future!).

I do not want to turn this into a "cause celebre". I just want to know what was going on - even if that meant that the LG was organisationally in error, or had just made a simple typo. But one typo is excusable. Two typos in the same area/subject may cause one to raise an eyebrow?

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 22nd July 2015 at 15:18. Reason: QSD

Thanks

Hi Peter,
    look at: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/2514

Meteorological Branch To be Flt. Lts. (emergency), 1st Apr. 1943: — (the 12th from above:) Eric Dudley (140468)

look also at: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/1612

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Hi Mojmir,
    Mni tks for that. Much appreciated!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter,
    Small addiction to your request:
    RAF List for September 1943 shows J. Schmeidler with the numer 140168.

Regards,
    Greg