Thread: 1970s small pamphlet/privately produced book on wartime air crashes in Yorkshire

Thanks

Default 1970s small pamphlet/privately produced book on wartime air crashes in Yorkshire

Does anyone remember or even have a copy of a small book/pamphlet that was privately produced in the 1970s listing all the crashes in Yorkshire (and possibly the Eastern part of the U.K). It gave crash locations with, I think, map references together with circumstances of the losses. I had a copy in my teens and used it to visit some of the crash sites. I recall it was printed with a white card cover, was quite thin and had some photographs inside, including a picture of a fairly complete looking crashed HE177 (which I always thought might not have been taken in the UK) sprawled near a railway embankment. Another sad story was of a fighter that had crashed on the moors and the pilot was not found until too late and had passed away from exposure. Does this ring any bells for anyone? I am aware of the published titles but I don't think it was one of these. I do not think it was 'White Rose Bases' by Brian Rapier.
    Last edited by barnsley; 25th July 2015 at 15:34.

Thanks

Hello,

The publication you refer to, is:

WARPLANES RETURN. No.1. YORKSHIRE.
    Rapier, Brian.
    Swinegate:Air Museum (York),1970.
    Card covered, 24pp.

Entries listed under manufacturer, then chronologically.

Page 22.

VICKERS:

Spitfire.

Green & grey, top with Md. Sea Grey under.

Feb, 42.

Crashed Rosedale Abbey, 92712955 pilot starved to death with two broken legs in the snow.

Actually:

25-1-1942
    No.122 Sqn.
    Spitfire Vb AD545

Dived into ground out of cloud Rosedale, Yorks.

102556 P/O (Pilot) John Michael Fisher (B.A., Cantab.) RAFVR +

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 25th July 2015 at 16:29.

Thanks

Hi Col, thank you. Do you have a copy of the book? Does it have the HE177 crash in it? Could I pm you?

Thanks

Hello,

Yes, l have a copy of the booklet. The He 177 photo you mention is on p.19. As you say, it depicts a crash-landed He 177, near a railway line, simply captioned: He177 crashed.

Afraid, no scanner.

PS. You will find a similar photograph (along with a frontal shot of the same aircraft), in:

Heinkel He 177 Greif: Heinkel's Strategic Bomber.
    Smith,J Richard & Eddie J Creek.
    Classic:Hersham,2005.
    p.62

The caption reads:

Below and Right. In spite of all the modifications to improve the design of the He 177, it was still subject to crashes . This A-3 came down near a railway line following an engine failure.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 25th July 2015 at 16:51.

Thanks

Thats the one Col. Thank you so much. I am going to order it from amazon now!