Thread: F/O F.J. Stokes, 220 Sqn – crew members 22 Feb 42

Thanks

Default F/O F.J. Stokes, 220 Sqn – crew members 22 Feb 42

Hi,

On the 22 Feb 1942 two Fortress Mk l from the 220 Sqn detachment in Egypt made an attack on the Italian fleet. They were themselves attacked by two Bf110s but the crew of AN518/B piloted by F/O Frederick J. Stokes claimed one of them as probably destroyed Bf110. Info from Boeing Fortress Mk.l by Phil H. Listemann.

I am looking for the names of F/O Stokes’ crewmembers. I made a web search on TNA but there is no Form 541 for this period.

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Peter:

I found the 220 Sqn Detachment, M.E. pages buried in the 220 Sqn ORB. Co-pilot was a F/O Nesbit and Fleet Air Arm observer Sub Lt Spademan (believed to be Sub Lt Philip R Spademan, R.N.) was on board. Rest only listed as 'crew'.

Out of interest, the detachment personnel were all former 90 Sqn members.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 26th July 2015 at 07:14.

Thanks

Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

I hoped to find the names of F/O Stokes ordinary crew members in the 90 Sqn ORB but unfortunately there is no surviving Form 541 from 90 Sqn after September 1941. I checked in the 2 Group RAF by Michael J.F. Bowyer and F/O Stokes made no operational flights from the UK. He only made operational Fortress flights in the Mediterranean starting in November 1941.

Peter

Thanks

Peter:

Will take another look but on the page I was looking at the co-pilot was not the same on each flight by Stokes so arriving at a regular crew in Egypt might not be possible.

There is a listing somewhere in the ORB of those that transferred to 220 Sqn Det. ME from 90 Sqn which I recall has initials so we may be able to pin down Nesbit if you have not already done so.

Robert

Thanks

Robert,

I found the ORB of the 220 Sqn Det at TNA. If it includes a list of all that transferred from 90 Sqn I will download a copy. Then I will at least know all possible candidates but to confirm all the crew members seems to be impossible for the moment…

Peter

Thanks

Peter:

My recollection is that there are just five or so pages covering November 1941 to March 1942 - would be interested to learn if there are more.

The late Roger Freeman was apparently in touch with Stokes at one time and included reference to the detachment in a 1999 FlyPast special on the B-17 - a photo credited to Stokes includes Spademan and himself.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 26th July 2015 at 21:17.

Thanks

Peter,

Can't recall if the list of those transferred is in the detachment or regular squadron ORB. Will go through the latter if you do not find in the former. It's around 900 pages on a DVD.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 27th July 2015 at 18:05.

Thanks

Robert,

Thanks for the offer. I will send you a message if the list is not included in the 220 Sqn Det ORB.

Peter