Thread: Wellington X9637 - crashed into Channel 1st July 1942

Thanks

Default Wellington X9637 - crashed into Channel 1st July 1942

Hi
    I am trying to find out any information anyone may have on the above aircraft which we know crashed into the channel on 1st July 1942.

My father in law has been trying to find some information on this as his brother was a Sergeant on the flight and was listed as killed. He is buried in the cemetery at Illogan in Cornwall. Whilst his name and number are known, and he was listed as killed, we are unclear as to why he was buried alongside 2 other members of the crew as "unknown airmen" listed on their headstone.

My father in law is now in poor health but talks constantly about this. His brother's name was Ron Thompson, he is listed as one of the crew as Sgt R E Thompson, 1177179. We know the aircraft took off on 1st July 1942 from 21 OTU at Marston Moor on a training flight. We are still unsure as to how the aircraft came to crash.

I would really appreciate any information anyone may have on this or if you could point me in any other direction it would really help and give my father in law some closure over his beloved brothers death.

Thank you so much
    Janice Thompson

Thanks

Hello Janice

Welcome to RAFCommands. Not sure if you've seen this already, but there's the following, taken from this site:

http://www.rafdavidstowmoor.org/cras...942-crash-log/

1615hrs Vickers Wellington Ic X9637 SJ-V of 21 Operational Training Unit Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire crashed into the sea 2 miles S of Fowey Police Station while on a navigation sortie. The aircraft broke up and caught fire on impact. The crew P/O R E C Ebsworth (Pilot); Sgt F D Schmeltz RCAF (Navigator); Sgt J F Clark (Navigator); Sgt R E Thompson (Air Bomber); Sgt G R Waters (Wireless Operator); Sgt R. Cunningham (Air Gunner); Sgt G B Amery (Air Gunner). Only two bodies were recovered those of Sergeant Schmeltz and Sergeant Clark.

EDIT: There is a bit more information an the RAFCommands Archive:

http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/00452.php

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 26th July 2015 at 18:00.

Thanks

Hi Simon
    this is really helpful thank you. We had always understood that Uncle Ron was the navigator on the aircraft but this lists him as an Air Bomber. Do you know what this would have meant please? Sorry to be ignorant but I'd like to be able to explain this to my father in law so that he can begin to understand hat happened to his brother. I've searched the grave archive at Illogan cemetery in Cornwall as we had been led to believe that he had been buried there but the report you attached suggests his body was never recovered. It's all very confusing but I really appreciate the help you have given. If there's anywhere else I could search for information on what actually happened to the wellington to cause the crash it would be really good to find this out.
    thanks again for your help,
    Janice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JanTomo47 View Post
    Hi Simon
    this is really helpful thank you. We had always understood that Uncle Ron was the navigator on the aircraft but this lists him as an Air Bomber. Do you know what this would have meant please? Sorry to be ignorant but I'd like to be able to explain this to my father in law so that he can begin to understand hat happened to his brother. I've searched the grave archive at Illogan cemetery in Cornwall as we had been led to believe that he had been buried there but the report you attached suggests his body was never recovered. It's all very confusing but I really appreciate the help you have given. If there's anywhere else I could search for information on what actually happened to the wellington to cause the crash it would be really good to find this out.
    thanks again for your help,
    Janice
    R.E. Thompson is on panel 95 of the Runnymede Memorial to the Missing, so he was never found and identified.

The unidentified RAF graves at Illogan Cemetery are marked as follows :

Airman Buried 17-1-42
    Airmen buried 4-2-42
    Airmen buried 15-7-42
    Airmen buried 13-12-42
    and the graves of 3 Airmen all 13-1-42

The airman buried 15-7-42 and the 3 airmen dated 1-7-42 are all buried next to Schmeltz. Clark was buried in Plymouth.

I think it highly likely that the airmen dated 1-7-42 are from this crew and that the airman buried 15-7-42 is also from this crew ( he is buried one grave away from Schmeltz ) , but that leaves one unaccounted for. I would suggest that a trawl through the cemetery record, through the record of the nearby RAF base, and the local RNLI lifeboat station, and through the County Police archives may be a good idea
    Last edited by jonheyworth; 18th November 2016 at 10:22.