Thread: WWII RAF Flying Officer - Frank Blenkin (151066)

Thanks

Default WWII RAF Flying Officer - Frank Blenkin (151066)

Hi All

Whilst researching on the internet I stumbled across the following archived conversation (http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/08706.php) regarding a WWII RAF Flying Officer called Frank Blenkin in the 218 Gold Coast Squadron. I notice that one of the contributors to this conversation called Steve Smith says that he has a photograph of Frank Blenkin and I was wondering if you are still a member of this forum whether you would be able to send me an electronic copy?

The reason I have been researching Frank specifically is that I have bought an original WWII RAF Officers uniform here in England for 1940's Jive dancing. When trying on the uniform I put my hand in the top pocket and found his dog tag bearing his name rank and Commissioned number and blood group. Thus my curiosity has been sparked into wanting to find out more about him, where he served etc.

I was very excited to learn that he gained the Distinguished Flying Cross on 7/12/1945.

Any information anyone may have on his service would be greatly appreciated as well! Or even just more information on the squadron themselves would be great, because at this point I know very little about either and am keen to learn more.

Cheers

James

Thanks

Blenkin's DFC is gazetted on 7/12/45 on page 5945 but Carter does not show a citation/recommendation in their book. Given the timescale, I suspect this to be a non-immediate award but you can try the Air Ministry Bulletin held on microfilm at the RAF Museum.

218's Form 541 at the National Archives should allow you to build up an operational profile of the man and, depending how much you want to spend, you could go to the Air Historical Branch and seek an enquiry under the Defence Publication Scheme.

I'll have a look later and see if I can find anything post-war on a geneology website I use. It might at least show a date of marriage and the name is sufficiently unusual not to throw thousands of hits. If there are any children shown, you might then try one of the sites like 192.com for an electoral roll entry for the kids!

Good Luck

Colin Cummings

Thanks

James

I have e-mailed Steve to highlight this thread, so hopefully he will contact you shortly

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

As promised above, I have looked for more info on Blenkin.

He relinquished his commission on 22 Feb 1954 as a flight lieutenant see LG 40379 page 217.

It is probably him who married Lilian AVIS or PETTIT in 2nd qtr of 1949 at Saffron Walden. The entry suggests that Avis/Pettit might have been widowed or divorced.

Blenkin seems to have been born in 1st qtr of 1921 at Sculcoates Yorkshire.

That's as far as I can get without putting more horsepower into it. There are 49 children called Blenkin born in UK between 1950 and 1960 but I haven't followed any of these leads.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

There are two Blenkin children (at least) using Avis as the Spouse Surname!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

If you reveal their names, it might be possible for them to be traced as its a high probability that they are still with us. The females (if either is) could be searched for via a 'marriages' record base and then both via the electoral roll databases to give a current location.

Of course James might not wish to go that far.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin, Hi,
    Although that information is in the Public Domain I am a bit wary of putting (probable) living names on the Forum. There is 1 x male and 1x female shown on Free BMD. If James wants to go down that path then it's free! The BT Residential Directory used to be quite a good research aid - but many folk now rely on their mobiles. That BT list, however, did produce the "goods" a few months back. The subject had died but the house phone was still extant in his name - and the son was now living in the house, so the researcher got in touch without difficulty!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

Point taken - you're right.

Colin