Thread: Flight Lt Henry Morrison D.F.C. - details?

Thanks

Default Flight Lt Henry Morrison D.F.C. - details?

Hello everyone

The Yorskhire Post of November 23rd 1944 reports on an investiture at Buckingham Palace in which Flight Lieutenant Henry Morrison of Bomber Command received his D.F.C.

I've not been able to track him down - can anyone help with his service number and unit?

Many thanks

Simon

Thanks

Hello

From "Honour the Air Forces" by Michael Maton, I see only one who could match : Henry Jackson Morrison, 137588, from No. 218 Squadron, DFC gazetted 13 July 1943.

Joss

Thanks

Thank you Joss, much appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wwrsimon View Post
    Hello everyone

The Yorskhire Post of November 23rd 1944 reports on an investiture at Buckingham Palace in which Flight Lieutenant Henry Morrison of Bomber Command received his D.F.C.

I've not been able to track him down - can anyone help with his service number and unit?

Many thanks

Simon
    Hello Simon ,
    My wife came across this purely by chance , hence the late reply

i think that the individual that you are looking for was my father Henry Jackson Morrison flt lt bomber command . He received the DFC and bar during his service in bomber command . He left the UK shortly after the war and settled in Rhodesia before finally moving to Durban South Africa where sadly he passed away on 9th Jan 2000 . He is survived by myself Brian Morrison and my 2 sisters Fiona and Sheila .
    i have his DFC with me but unfortunately I do not know his service number but I hope that this information may be of some use to you This is all I could find from the gazette MORRISON, Henry Jackson, PO - DFC - 430713 - 218 Sqn - RAFVR
    best regards Brian Morrison
    Last edited by Brianmorrison; 6th June 2019 at 04:44.

Thanks

Brian (et al), welcome,
    29 Nov 1942. 1006451 Flt Sgt Henry Jackson MORRISON Cmd Plt Off(p) (137588) RAFVR GD.
    1006451 is in the Block 965000-1149977 issued at Padgate 1 Sep 1939 to 31 Mar 1941(?).
    Enlisted possibly in Jan 1940?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Resmoroh For This Useful Post:

Jagan (6th June 2019)

Thanks

Brian

Many thanks indeed for confirming his identity, and for the e-mail too.

I've already sent this directly to Brian, but I thought the Forumites may also like to see it too. The Newcastle Journal of July 15th 1943 reported the following:

Denton Burn D.F.C.
    Flying Officer Henry Jackson Morrison, R.A.F., of Denton Burn, has been awarded the D.F.C. following a raid on Bremen in a plane of which he was radio operator.
    The plane was attacked by three night fighters. Morrison, standing in the astrodome, gave directions which enabled the captain to take necessary evasive action.
    He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. T. H. Morrison, of Baroness Drive, Denton Burn.

Regards

Simon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wwrsimon For This Useful Post:

Jagan (6th June 2019)

Thanks

MORRISON, Henry Jackson, P/O (137588, RAFVR) - No.218 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 13 July 1943. Public Record Office Air 2/8964 has citation drafted when he had flown 31 sorties (161 hours).

"As wireless operator/air gunner, this officer has displayed great courage and determination on a number of hazardous sorties. In June 1942 while on a mission to Bremen, his aircraft was attacked by three enemy fighters. Pilot Officer Morrison kept watch for his gunners from the astrodome and, by his directions, his captain was able to take effective evasive action. On another occasion, while attacking Warndemunde, the aircraft was driven far off its course by intense anti-aircraft fire and only the most skilful wireless work by Pilot Officer Morrison enabled the crew to reach base. Throughout his operational career the efficiency, keenness and tenacity displayed by this officer have been a large factor in the successes achieved."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HughAHalliday For This Useful Post:

Jagan (6th June 2019),wwrsimon (6th June 2019)

Thanks

Thank you Hugh, much appreciated.

Regards

Simon