Thread: WW2 Crash Bisham Woods (Berkshire)

Default WW2 Crash Bisham Woods (Berkshire)

Sorry about the lack of information on this (at the moment), but my sister in law recently went for a Walk in Bisham Woods (Berkshire) and found a memorial to a WW2 airplane crash in the woods. Now this is news to me.. Unfortuately, she did not remember much, except maybe returning or going to France.. Now I have asked her to take me to the spot so I can glean more infmration (and she said she will, as it will 'not be easy to find'). The question is has anyone here got a crash in Bisham Woods (Berkshire) on any list.

Sorry for the lack of info at present

Paul

Paul

Halifax LK794, 18/7/44

regards

DaveW

Hi Paul
    Following from Dave, Chorley gives, in BCL Vol 5, 578 Sqn, Halifax III, LK794, LK-Q, T/O Snaith at 0411 to bomb fortified positions at Caen. It crashed 2 mls S of Bisham at 0520 apparently following a fire in or near one of the starboard engines when it exploded. The crew were ordered to bale out but only the Rear Gunner F/Sgt H C Sloan RCAF was able to do so before control of the a/c was lost.There cannot have been much left as the rest of the crew are commemorated at Runnymede.The memorial at Bisham may have the names
    F/O V Starkoff DFC RCAF
    Sgt G T Nicholson
    P/O J F Fink
    F/Sgt I Morgan
    P/O L H Hopper RCAF
    F/Sgt J E Claque
    Regards
    Dick

Might be more information on the RAAF site as Starkoff was Australian. DFC awarded 1946!

Default Coincidence

Funny that this came up, I thought today it would be too much of a co-incidence to be the same one.

A kind lady in Maidenhead sent me a copy of the Dedication Ceremoney leaflet from July 18, 1998.

It's described as Carpenters Wood, Burchetts Green.

Starkoff is RAAF but his casualty file and service record were scanned a month or so ago on the NAA.

Could scan it if you wished but Starkoff's file on the NAA would be a good one to view and also to request Sloan's records from Canada if available.

regards

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.skynet.ie/~dan/war/crashes.htm

Hi Paul
    My apologies Starkoff is RAAF, I misread it.His casualty file has not yet been digitised by the Australians but it does give his place of birth as Irkutsk, Russia
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 27th May 2008 at 20:46.

All

Thanks for solving this little mystery for me

Paul