Thread: Richard Frank Batram Powell AFC RAF

Thanks

Default Richard Frank Batram Powell AFC RAF

i hoping some one can help me with this RAF officer i am seeking any service history i have the Usual Promotions etc from the LG

it would seem he enlisted at Cardington between Sept 39-Aug 1940 having a service no of 960822 he was Commissioned from F/Sgt 23/4/42 to 120937

During Wartime he served as a Navigator with 7 Sqd Okington circa Dec 43 flying with S/L K Davies Pilot , he was shot down over France ? and spent 10 Months as a POW , after the war he carried on in the RAF and was involved with the Canberra Aries iv Project and was awarded the AFC in 1957 he was CO of 99 Sqd from Sept54-April56 before retiring .

if anyone can add to this i would be most grateful

TIA Phill jones

Thanks

Hi

All I can add is that he served at the RAF Flying College from 28 Apr 1957 and was a staff officer in the Directorate of Quartering from 9 Oct 1961

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Phill,

A bit: http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/03405.php

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Hi Malcolm and Mojmir

Thank you for your prompt replies this helps greatly .

Phill

Thanks

Phill, Hi,

He appears to have been born in Q4 1920. Married Dorothy M Evans Q3 1950 (Radnorshire West 8c 1029). (Too many Powell/Evans Births in Freebmd to be able to sort if any were theirs!!)

He is mentioned, briefly and only by Rank/Surname, in http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafi...BD35A68C31.pdf. Enquiries of the RIN might produce some more information.

He seems to have been “short-toured” as OC 99 Sqn? Why? Malcolm’s post shows that he was still in a good flying posting from 28 Apr 57 (for 3 yrs?). Then, suddenly, he pitches up in the Directorate of Quartering from 9 Oct 1961. He Retires as a Wg Cdr on 30 Oct 67 – aged only 47!!!! No indication that he was “unfit for Air Force service” – so possibly not a medical problem? Wearing my Haruspex Hat, and looking at his Quartering posting, it would seem he had upset A Senior Personage and been told he was not going to get his Gp Capt!

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!