Thread: 35 Squadron - Halifax Mk1 (series 1) Codes & Serial Number Colour

Thanks

Default 35 Squadron - Halifax Mk1 (series 1) Codes & Serial Number Colour

Good evening all,

This is a query that I have noticed mentioned before within this forum however I am yet to fully convince myself of the answer.

I am trying to confirm the Squadron code & serial number colour scheme of the early Halifax Mk1 (series 1) aircraft, specifically airframe L9500 TL H and have recently understood these early aircraft to have received the 'medium sea grey' colour codes before switching to dull red in approx 1942.

I have seen B&W photos which suggest a grey Sqd code and dull red serial however a previous painting commissioned by the pilot of L9500 suggests grey for both the Sqd code and serial.

Despite being fairly sure that the latter is correct for an early 1941 aircraft, I would very much appreciate any thoughts / ideally reference points which might help me confirm this one way or another!

Many thanks in anticipation,

kind regards,

James

Thanks

Hi James

If you look at this page on my website - http://www.rafweb.org/Squadrons/Sqn%.../sqn_codes.htm you will see the AMOs relevant to RAF aircraft for the whole of WW2. It seems the code letters should have been grey but it doesn't seem to specify a colour for the serial number.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi James,

Does the painting show the upper surface camouflage extending from the wing trailing edge in a slightly wavy line up to the leading edge of the tailplane? If so the serial would almost definitely be red. There are photos of L9501 TL-Y i.e. the next off the line, in this scheme.

Later on in 1941 the demarcation line moved up to a wavy line away from the wing, and then the serials and codes were both grey.
    This is confirmed by comments in MJF Bowyers book in which amongst several other comments he recorded L9486 TL-B with the early paint job and grey codes, red serials.

regards Peter
    Last edited by PeterColwill; 9th September 2015 at 12:20.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    Hi James

If you look at this page on my website - http://www.rafweb.org/Squadrons/Sqn%.../sqn_codes.htm you will see the AMOs relevant to RAF aircraft for the whole of WW2. It seems the code letters should have been grey but it doesn't seem to specify a colour for the serial number.

Malcolm
    Many thanks Malcolm - that's super useful. This does certainly appears to add credence to the grey squadron codes.

Just the serial number to confirm now!

Many thanks again.

James

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeterColwill View Post
    Hi James,

Does the painting show the upper surface camouflage extending from the wing trailing edge in a slightly wavy line up to the leading edge of the tailplane? If so the serial would almost definitely be red. There are photos of L9501 TL-Y i.e. the next off the line, in this scheme.

Later on in 1941 the demarcation line moved up to a wavy line away from the wing, and then the serials and codes were both grey.
    This is confirmed by comments in MJF Bowyers book in which amongst several other comments he recorded L9486 TL-B with the early paint job and grey codes, red serials.

regards Peter
    Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your thoughts on this - very much appreciated. L9500 was certainly one of the earliest airframes with a camouflage paint scheme (according to the pilot's commissioned painting at any rate) that covered the majority of the front turret and then extended in a more or less straight line (all be it following a roughly 15 degree trajectory) up towards the tail plane.

Having read your comments, discovered a rather key image of the rear fuesalage of a crashed L9501 and examined some 35 squadron shots of aircraft from the period (including L9499) I am now heavily leaning towards the squadron codes being depicted in medium sea grey and the serial number in dull red.

Even with black and white images it is fairly easy to tell differences one brightness of the colours used.

Many thanks again for your help Peter.

Best regards,

James