Thread: Manufacturers marking

Thanks

Default Manufacturers marking

Can anyone tell me the manufacturer of a Spitfire canopy crowbar I have? It is wartime issue being marked AM & crown and the mark is a circle with W at 12 o'clock, I (I think) at 3 and H at 6 . It is poorly struck and may or may not have a marking at 9 o'clock

Thanks

Might be simpler to try and find an old (period) trade directory specializing in tools such as crowbars, jemmy bars and the like, and see if any of them have such intials. They were probably made to an Air Ministry sepcification, but were no doubt very little different to normal trade items of that size. However hard to decide which industry these items might be considered part of, as they are not really for gardening, not really engineering (although they sometimes are used in garges for special jobs - I have seen them in action where no other tool could do it!), and I guess there main use would be in demolition of old buildings, heavy construction (pre modern machinery) and jemmy bars were of course one oof the most useful items in the kit of the professional burglar, although most owners of such would NOT admit to this. I have a crow bar and a jemmy bar in the house, and they are both uniquely useful tools.
    David D
    Last edited by David Duxbury; 26th September 2015 at 20:58.

Thanks

Hi Pete

Could be you have a better luck with this guide, than I have.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/1939_Su...craft_Industry

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Categor...aft_Components

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Thanks David but the crowbar is nothing like a "normal" one in that the shaft is thin wall tube and only the chisel head and the pointed head are solid and set into the tube- presumably to save weight, wall thickness is about 2mm so must be a specially hardened steel. Argus, thanks also, had a browse through but can't see any suitable fits.

Thanks

Thanks

Spot on! exactly that, thanks at least I now know what the mark should read