Thread: Warrant Officer Ronald Russell DFC

Thanks

Default Warrant Officer Ronald Russell DFC

I appreciate this is a frequently asked question but I've got stuck in trying to find the citation for a DFC.

It was for Warrant Officer Ronald John Wilton Russell serving with 61 Squadron and who had the service number 551396. His DFC is listed in the London Gazette on 19 October 1943.

Ronald survived the war and died in Llandudno in 1999 and is buried locally.

I realise I may have to go to the National Archives at Kew but any other advice or help would be much appreciated. Adrian.

Thanks

RUSSELL, Ronald John Wilton, Warrant Officer (551396, Royal Air Force) - No.61 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 19 October 1943. Citation from Air Ministry Bulletin 11721.

This Warrant Officer has completed a large number of operational missions and has shown great courage and high technical skill on every occasion. He has successfully rectified defects during his flights, some of which would have been difficult for one man to deal with, even with the aircraft stationary. Warrant Officer Russell has been never failing in his duty and has displayed great gallantry in the face of the most intense opposition.

Thanks

Hugh, many thanks for your reply and the citation for Ronald Russell's DFC - very much appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks

I believe that you may find a more detailed recommendation at Kew in AIR 2/8983.

Thanks

Thanks for the update Hugh :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HughAHalliday View Post
    I believe that you may find a more detailed recommendation at Kew in AIR 2/8983.
    Many thanks Hugh