Thread: R.A.F. accident on 13th or 14th August 1920 - Ireland (Irish Wing)

Thanks

Default R.A.F. accident on 13th or 14th August 1920 - Ireland (Irish Wing)

Good morning to all members.

I am trying to find information about a probable F-2B, Avro 504 or D.H.9a accident (it may be a different kind of aircraft either) that ocurred in IRELAND (near Dublin) most probably on the 14th August 1920, although we can not discard the 13th August also.

I am aware that there was an aircraft accident at Clonbanin, Cork., and that Private A. E. Nunn was shot by an I.R.A. patrol (ambush) on the 14th August 1920. So probably this accident occurred on the 13th August or either on the 14th August 1920; but I do have NO names of the crew involved, neither the type of machine and serial number.

I was unable, so far, to find ALL accidents (RAF aircraft) that occurred on the 13th and 14th August 1920, on IRELAND (Irish Wing).

The airman I am looking for was admitted on the Dublin Hospital on the 14th August 1920...so I assumed he had crashed either that day or the day before.

Thank you very much for any kind of information co-related.

Yours, most sincerely,
    Adriano S. Baumgartner

Thanks

13-Aug-20 Plane forced landed near Clonbanin, Cork - Two Crew OK.

14-Aug-20 Private Albert Edward Nunn - 185267 Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) Killed 14 August 1920 guarding aeroplane during IRA attack.

20-Aug-20 Bristol Fighter F4528 Falcon III 1831 W.D. 51940 crashed at Castlebar Ireland - Pilot F/O Norman Herford Dimmock AFC Injured with two badly broken legs, Major Henry Francis Chads MC killed - But Castlebar not anywhere near Dublin

Thanks

20-Aug-20 Casualty Card Type - Incident at RAF Vault says F4825

August 16th 1920 Bristol Fighter H1448 crashed On aerial mail duty Fermoy/Ireland Pilot Fg Off Lionel Conrad Hooton and passenger ?AC2? W Kendall seriously injured Source RAF Vault

Thanks

AEROPLANE MONTHLY (October 2015) has article by Pete London, "Air War Over Ireland" about air events in Ireland, 1919-1923.

Thanks

Adriano,

It might help others if you could give some indication as to your source.

In the meantime the following comes from the 19 August 1920 edition of Flight magazine:

Sinn Fein Attack on Damaged Aeroplane.

The following statement was issued by the Irish Command in Dublin on (Sunday) August 15 -

"At about 5.30 am on Saturday, near Banteer, Co. Cork, a military guard over a broken-down aeroplane was attacked and the sentry killed. The remainder of the guard immediately engaged their opponents, and after a fight put them to flight. The military casualties were one killed and one wounded.

The assailants' casualties, according to the latest information, are believed to be four killed and at least three wounded."

Banteer (52 deg 07 min N, 08 deg 53 minW) is a small village near Mallow in County Cork. Relatively speaking Cloonbannin (note spelling from Google Earth), aka Clonbanin, is further west at 52 deg 07 min N, 09 deg 02 min W.

From your description in #1 I suspect your incident (the one described in Flight) is being mixed up with the ambush of an Army convoy at Clonbanin on 5 March 1921 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonbanin_Ambush)

The Times newspaper does not carry any report of the incident.

Brian

Edit (1). Actually Banteer is about the same distance west of Mallow as Cloonbannin is west of Banteer. Should have thought to check before quoting Wiki!

Edit (2) Since the attack occurred at 5.30 am on the 14th, it is more than likely the aircraft force-landed on the 13th.

Edit (3) The Sinn Fein version of the incident is on page 6 of http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.i...BMH.WS0744.pdf. This implies the force-landing was earlier on the 14th. However, given that (1) the pilot had to find a telephone and notify his base of the accident; (2) the soldiers guarding the aircraft had to travel from Mallow and find it; and (3) the soldiers, other than the guard were resting by a 'large' fire, the time elapsed from the landing would have been considerable, and I still favour the 13th as the date the aircraft came down.

Edit (4) Another version at http://www.cairogang.com/soldiers-killed/nunn/nunn.html, which includes Irish newspaper reports. There are two Drominaghs, one North and one South; South Drominagh being near 52 deg 08 min N, 09 deg 00.6 min W, or near a place called Cloonbannin Cross. I'll let you all sort this out, but it seems to confirm the aircraft came down the previous day. Unfortunately none of the accounts identifies either the pilot or aircraft.

Edit (5) Using Google Earth the two Drominaghs are not villages or hamlets, but farms.

I'm going to bed!

Apologies for all the edits, it just seemed sensible to keep everything in the same post.
    Last edited by Lyffe; 16th October 2015 at 08:16. Reason: Edit 5 is to save anyone looking for villages

Thanks

Hello Paul, Hugh Halliday and Lyffe,
    THANK YOU very much for the kind attention you gave this thread and your own answers and information. I am sorry for the long delay in answering you...
    I am looking for details of a possible crash sustained by Flying Officer Gordon Fox Rule, DFC, CdG*; a Brazilian born flyer who was serving with 100 Squadron at that time. He seems to have suffered a serious aircraft accident which invalided him out. He was first posted to a Hospital in Dublin, on the 14th August 1920 and later transferred to several other Hospitals in the UK, until declared unfit for flying.
    Since he was posted to the first Hospital on the 14th August, I assumed that his possible aircraft accident (I can not discard some kind of ambush by the I.R.A., or even a car accident or motorcycle accident either) was on the 14th itself or on the previous day (which do link us to the accident on the 13th).
    I am aware of those Irish newspapers about the CLOBANIN accident...maybe this was his accident; but we got NO serial number for that one...and do not know the names of the crew...All seems to point us towards this one....
    I do thank you very much, again, for the most valuable help and contribution
    Yours,
    Adriano