Thread: Wilfrith Peter GREEN 39518 - DSO, DFC

Thanks

Default Wilfrith Peter GREEN 39518 - DSO, DFC

Morning,

W.P. Green, a night fighter ace, started the war as a Coastal Command pilot. Aces High Vol. 1 and 2 give 217 Sqn and 240 Sqns until December 1941.

Does anyone know the dates he served with respectively 217 Sqn and 240 Sqn as far as they are the only CC units he served with?

What I find also strange, he seems he didn't attend a night fighter course. If so, when he did so?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Phil

Thanks

Phil,

Coincidence, but recently I was looking at the 201 Squadron ORB (AIR 27/1177) for the Phoney War period and kept coming across a 'F/O Green'. However I do not recall ever seeing initials or a service number for him.
    Your post prompted me to look further. I found in the 217 Squadron ORB (AIR 27/1338) for 23 October 1937 that an Acting Pilot Officer W. P. Green and three others had been posted in, but nothing else as far as I can see.
    I sample checked the 240 Squadron ORB but found no mention of any officer named 'Green' for the months of September and October 1939, and January and June 1940.
    Back to the 201 Squadron ORB and I note a 'P/O Green' along with three others posted in to the unit on 17 July 1939 on completion of No. 19 Flying-Boat Course. At some point in the September 1939 F.541 he begins to be recorded as a 'Flying Officer'. This appears to tie in with his promotion to that rank in the London Gazette edition 13657, page 5757 dated 22 August 1939 and with effect from 21 July 1939. He was still flying with them up to early May 1940 at least. I am not certain but I do not recall ever seeing him listed as an 'Aircraft Captain', just as the 2nd pilot.
    Then in the ORB for 2 July 1940 it was noted that he as going on leave for a medical examination. The last word I cannot make out but it could be 'exhaustion'. A last entry - I think - appears for him under the date 18 August 1940 where it is recorded that 'F/O W. P. Green was posted to No.2 School of GR, 6 September 1940'.
    Perhaps a spell with 240 Squadron came after No.2 SGR ?

I too would be interested in any further details that might come to light.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Morning Martin,

Thanks for those details. I was able to check 240 ORB and yes he did serve with 240 Sqn when he was posted in on 13 July 1941 as a Flight Lieutenant and would serve until 21 November when he was posted to 277 Sqn. However he seems not having flown in operations with 240 Sqn, but he's recorded in many entries for various traning flights on Catalinas.

Phil

Thanks

Hallo Phil,

Thanks for that. One small correction to my earlier post in that F/O Green did fly as Aircraft Captain during his time with 201 Squadron. For example during February 1940 as per the F.541.

Regards,

Martin.