Thread: Stirling LJ828 (No.196 Squadron), 06 June 1944

Thanks

Default Stirling LJ828 (No.196 Squadron), 06 June 1944

Looking for the names of the two non RCAF crews members of the above noted aircraft that was hit by enemy flak.

The RCAF crew were as follows: FO W. Baker, WO R.G. Pearce, FS J.B. McGovern and FO J.K. Anderson.

Thank you in advance.

Christian

Thanks

Hi Christian,

Might be of some help:

Operation "TONGA" - 5/6 June 1944.

No.196 Sqn
    Stirling IV LJ440 (needs verification, Col.)*

Two engines hit and put u/s over DZ. Successfully flown back and crash-landed at Ford. However, Nav and B/A baled out and had not been seen or heard of since.

J/23291 F/O (Pilot) William BAKER MiD RCAF - KIA 23-9-1944 "MARKET VII". No.570 Sqn. Stirling IV EF298.

Casualties: J/23749 F/O James Kennedy ANDERSON (RCAF),(Nav.) and 112403 F/L Richard Norman Purnell LUFF DFM RAFVR (A/B.) from F/O Baker's a/c. Definitely KIA and both included in R of H.

See:
    A Noble Pair of Brothers:A History of No.38 Group.
    Wood,D. H. W/C RAF (retd.)
    n.p.,:Author,1996
    pp.123-4.

* But!, see this: http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/03879.php

The other crew member on 6-6-1944, possibly; 1287244 Sgt (Flt. Engr.) Richard Bert BOND RAFVR - KIA 23-9-1944. "MARKET VII". No.570 Sqn. Stirling IV EF298.

See: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...7-Afro-1478-45

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 1st October 2015 at 03:53.

Thanks

narative report from Anderson's service file now available on Ancestry.com

Minute 1
    D.P.S.
    1. No. 196 Squadron reported that Stirling aircraft, LJ838, with a crew of 6, left base to carry out a glider towing operation. The aircraft was hit by enemy flak shortly after leaving the target but it climbed to a height of 4,500 feet where the two inner engines cut. The order was given by the pilot to "Prepare to abandon aircraft, put on parachutes", and this order was acknowledged by three members of the crew, however, F/O J. K. Anderson, an RCAF member of thsi crew and one not RCAF member of this crew, were not heard to acknowledge it. The aircraft broke cloud at 2500 feet and the pilot thinking that he woudl have to ditch the aircraft as there were over water at the time, asked the navigator for a course to take them home but was informed by a member of this crew that the navigator F/O J K Anderson and the air bomber, not RCAF personnel, had baled out. F/O Anderson is assumed to have baled out at approximately 3500 feet on the 6th June 1944, at approximately 01:15 hours. The aircraft and the remaining members of the crew crash landed at Ford Airfield.

2. A telegram from the I.R.C.C. quoting German information, states that the body of F/O Anderson was washed ashore on the 22 July 1944, near Cap Griz Nez, approximately 10 miles South-West of Calais, France and buried on the 24th July, 1944, in the Communal Cemetery, MMarquise, Grave no. 94.

3. An extract from official German totenliste No.238, confirm the information contained in para. 2

4. The three remaining RCAF members of this crew, F/O W Baker, W/O R G Pearce and F/Sgt J B McGovern, are safe and the two remaining members of this crew were not RCAF personnel.
    13/4/45

Hmm, actually nothing new there, I'll continue reading the file
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

There is a further page, a copy of a letter sent to his father:

Dear Mr Anderson

I wish to acknowledge your letter of January 23rd, concerning your son, Flying Officer James Kennedy Anderson.

The other member of the crew that baled out at the same time as your son, was RAF112403 Flight Lieutenant R N P Luff.

The members who returned safely and uninjured to their base are listed below together with their next-of-kin.

J23291 F/O W baker (now reported missing on Sept 23/44
    Next of kin: Mrs L H Baker (mother)
    22 South 10th Street,
    Harmon Hotel,
    Minneapolis, Minn, USA

R129688 W/O R G Pearce
    Next-of-kin: Mr F J Pearce (father)
    Mitchell, Ontario

R105460 F/Sgt J B McGovern
    next-of-kin: Mr P C McGovern (father)
    818 Pape Ave., Toronto, Ontario

And there it ends, not sure if there was a second page to that letter, but its not scanned online in any case. Letter is not signed off so that makes me think there would have been a second page.

Ah so, after all that typing, it fails to answer your question!
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Christian

The 196 Sqn ORB confirms Col's advice; the aircraft was LJ440, not LJ828. In fact LJ828 doesn't appear to have been on the squadron's strength.

LJ440's crew was:
    J23291 F/O W Baker (Pilot)
    J23749 F/O J K Anderson (Nav) +
    112403 Flt Lt R N P Luff (A/B)+
    R129688 W/O R C Pearce (Wop/AG)
    1287244 Sgt R B Bond (F/E)
    R150460 F/Sgt J B McGovern (AG)

Brian

Edit: As a complete aside, the target was DZ "N", where the crew delivered 20 troops and kit, 9 containers - and one bicycle. T/O 05/2334, landed Ford at 06/0228 hours.
    Last edited by Lyffe; 1st October 2015 at 13:42.

Thanks

I checked also William Bakers service file and there is little or nothing about his own death in it save some message about the finding of wreckage an dinability to ID bodies.

Theres no reference to the night of the 5/6 june.

Theres a January 1944 F765 for an inccident where he was marschalled into a stationary aircraft after landing. No blame to him. There is a photo of Baker in the file.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi to all who posted in this thread last year.
    Fascinating info!
    My Uncle was Richard Bond, Flight Engineer.
    After the loss of two crew on D Day my Uncle and Baker (Pilot) were transferred to 570 Sqdn, losing all lives on 23rd Sept 1944 when they were shot down at Arnhem.
    Would love to know more of the early crew with 196.
    I have further info on my Uncle and crew if anyone is interested.
    I have a crew photo that I think was in 196 - would anyone recognise any of the crew? Happy to forward a picture.
    Thanks
    Paul

PS - Just as an aside, Luff, the Squadron Bomb Aimer who was part of the crew on this night had apparently run a sweepstake on the date of D Day. When he didn't return from this trip nobody could find the sweepstake money he had collected!
    Last edited by brookeratheber; 15th November 2016 at 22:10.

Thanks

Default McGovern

Further to previous comments there is a picture of an air gunner at OTU in the 3rd row of the picture at :-

https://www.facebook.com/64610021881...type=1&theater

Would this be the same McGovern?
    Paul

Thanks

The Squadron ORB states they flew in LJ440, but my Uncle's log shows LJ828. Perhaps LJ440 went U/S? LJ828 certainly went to SEBRO for major repairs following the crash landing at Ford on D Day.