Thread: Stirling N6003, 7 Sqn, July 2/3 1941

Thanks

Default Stirling N6003, 7 Sqn, July 2/3 1941

Hello everyone

On the night of July 2/3 1941, Stirling N6003 of 7 Sqn claimed an Me-110 over the Zuider Zee at 00.22 hours, 16,200 feet. I have a copy of the combat report (which states that the Me-110 flew past the rear gunner at 25 yards...!!).

I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, what was N6003's individual letter at that time? I saw in the RAF Commands archives that it was MG-T and then MG-W, but there are several online sources quoting MG-V.

Secondly, the Combat Report has the following:

'Report of Combat between Stirling N6003 and E/A on the night of 2/3 July (Captain F/O Sanders, A.A.J., Rear Gunner Sgt. Whitwell, P.C., MSI.TBQ.350).'

What is the meaning of 'MSI.TBQ.350'?Many thanks.

regards

Simon

Thanks

MSI - Movement Serial Indicator

Means that the aircraft was designated TBQ350 for that operation.

Intended flight route would be logged before take off under that MSI with Movements Section.

Later when RDF or Observer Corps picked up a signal and reported then the duty Movement Officer at the Filter Room could classify the trace as friendly by comparing time and route with MSI log.

Any deviation would turn the friendly designation to Unclassified and be subject to closer scrutiny.

Think of it as the early version of the IFF ident signal on modern transponders but in paper version.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross, that's very helpful and informative - thank you.

Regards

Simon