Thread: Air Sea Rescue Launch lost Summer of 1941

Thanks

Default Air Sea Rescue Launch lost Summer of 1941

Guys,

Does anyone know of any air sea rescue launches lost between May and July 1941 in the North West European operation?

In an account l have reference to Ďa real airman, A.C.Potter, a member of a Red Cross crash boat, A.S.R.S., whose body had been riddled at the same time as his launch, by three low-flying ME109ís who delighted in raking with fire the huge red cross on the yellow background.' This was recorded in July 1941 between France and Dulag Luft.

The two l have as lost are HSL108 out or Gorleston and HSL143 out of Dover, but neither of these have a Potter aboard.

I have a Potter of 40 Squadron shot down and crashed in the Rhine Estuary 12th June 1941 which fits date wise but not location or Squadron.

Is it just a misplaced name?

Any ideas?

Thanks

What's your reference, Nick?

Thanks

RAF aircrew operating R/T equipment, or servicing it, were sometimes assigned to ASR launches between flying duties. I have heard of 'one off' trips being authorised for these purposes, so perhaps the aircrew were not ever taken off their squadron officially.
    A possibility?

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Guys,

Its from a reference in James McCairns diary as listed on my web site. They were at St. Omar hospital and travelled together to Dulag Luft, hence it sounds more like HSL 143 lost off Boulonge.

I agree Bruce but l have the following listed as crew of HSL 143 in the Dover ORB's and l know that P/O Edward Frederick Chapman, just promoted to Squadron Leader and on his way to Malta to set up a similar operation over there was asked to take the craft out as the captain had another appointment elsewhere, so it does reflect the current situation as it left the harbour. Chapman has an interview on the IWM web site. There could have been a last minute substitution but there are no Potter's in the Liberation Questionnaires that would match.

The crew are listed as:-
    Captain P/O Edward Frederick Chapman (84168) POW
    AC2 A W Harris (931406) POW
    AC2 N A Vickers (639139) POW
    Cpl A C Brown (539202) POW
    Cpl D B Edwards (543573) POW
    AC2 R V Sach (921607)
    F /Sgt Squires was killed in the incident but l cannot find him on CWGC.

HSL 143 was not attached to Dover but remained attached to Manston, but based at Dover, the crew being bunked in HMS Wasp.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com
    Last edited by NickFenton; 4th October 2015 at 18:06. Reason: Looked up POW details from Ross's site