Thread: Martin B-57B Canberra

Thanks

Default Martin B-57B Canberra

Hello All,
    I note, from the flightradar24 site, that a NASA Martin B-57B Canberra is carrying out weather recces at 54,000 ft over the current Hurricane Joaquin in mid-Atlantic. Not bad for an a/c that was originally designed by Petter in 1944 (on the back of the traditional fag-packet?). We made 'em good in them days!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Well, not quite a B-57B, and quite different from Petter's original design. Google images of an RB-57F, and check out the wing, and the extra engines. Take a look at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=628048 for example.

Thanks

Bill,
    Take your point! But the original design served its purpose, and was(is?) capable of evolvements into purposes for which it was not originally intended? Same like the USAF B-52. Designed before many on this forum were born. But if the USAF wants to rain a large number of iron bombs on somebody then the B-52 is still in service! My point was that, occasionally, an aircraft designer can (whilst trying to work within the constraints of design parameters, finance, production capability, and govt interference), come up with a brilliant aircraft. Think Camm, Mitchell, Petter, and Chadwick - to name but a few. I worked on a number of Stations with Canberras. There were a number of problems (runaway tail-plane actuators, and 'bombing-up', etc). They were NOT a Gentleman's Touring Aeroplane - but most of the crews mostly liked them.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!