Thread: Sgt/F/Lt James Pickering AFC, VR740311/117397

Thanks

Default Sgt/F/Lt James Pickering AFC, VR740311/117397

Hello again,
    Sgt James Pickering while with 7 EFTS at Desford in 1938 was granted a Royal Aero Club Aviators Certificate. Any details of the Flying Club and date and licence number would be great. Also he was born at Hinckley, Leicestershire in September, 1915. Actual date would be appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Roy

Thanks

There is no James Pickering, but there is Alan Pickering licence number 23983, address The Outwoods, Hinckley, Leics. His DoB is given as 1st May 1917 and the certificate date is 17th Feb 1948. He is given as a manger for Auster Aircraft. I am guessing probably a relative.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi guys

James Pickering was a friend of mine and I flew with him many years ago. Sadly he has passed away.

What do you wish to know?

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Hi again,
    Thanks Al, yes
    Jim was a friend of us all, the forgotten hero. Flew in BoB, in Malta with 261 sqn, then rested with 1 ADU ending up delivering a Hurricane to the Flying Tigers in China then flying along side them, then risking being charged with desertion by returning to Cairo late. He tested countless modified Spitfire to 'Clipped and Cropped' mark with 3501 SU at Cranfield. Being awarded AFC. He was proud to be a VR Sgt before the war.
    He pioneered Aerial Archeologically before the war and for this interest was awarded Archaeologist of the year.
    Thanks for his RAeC details and possible name of Alan.
    His connection with Auster Aircraft was his family imported Taylorcraft aircraft which were renamed Auster aircraft. I am proud to say I knew him.
    Roy