Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collision Hadston/Red Row Northumberland 1940/41

Thanks

Default Collision Hadston/Red Row Northumberland 1940/41

Hi,
    Sorry to bring this up again,
    I have 3 accounts from local witnesses (children at the time, hence no accurate date or a/c) of a collision over this area,
    1. I know where the tail of one landed, where the main wreckage landed (What is now the school field of Duridge Middle school Hadston) but no a/c identity.

2. Also in this field around a year later another a/c went into the ground within 50m of the 1st, on both accounts the pilots were killed.

3. Within 1/2mile, another went into the ground (pilot also killed). again no identity.

Mo.3 I believed was K9935 (Whitefields farm Red Row according to D Waltons book) but this crash was at Togston Barns farm Hadston, info from Pilots death cert.

Any help please

Thanks

I am not letting this drop,
    I have seen vast amounts of untold info on these pages with the most tiniest of threads,
    come on someone must have something!!!

Chris

Thanks

Chris,

This is not really my area, but you are not giving the experts much to go on. I can't find anything in the Times, which is not surprising as such incidents would fail to make the national press, but I'm sure they would excite local attention - have you tried searching through archived local newspapers for 1940-41 in your library?

Brian

Thanks

Hi,

To save people spending time covering ground that has already been covered it might be helpful to read this thread first which has some replies to the question posed in the first post of this thread http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449

Chris, have you tried to find any trace of the deaths in the local records? If, as you have suggested, there were fatalities then there must be an official paper trail with the local authority or local police that you could follow? Apologies if that's an angle you have already covered.

Hope that helps
    Linzee

Thanks

Hi Linzee,
    thanks for replying,
    I at present am a novice at this who works at the former RAF base named as Acklinton. I am at heart a hiker who run out of trig points & sheep folds to look & hence started for crash sites, this in turn led to Acklington related sites, & would you know it several are close to the base within 1 or 2 miles, I at present use the accliaimed D Walton book as a starting point, this does not mention any collisions in this area or period.

I can only hope....My witnesses have lived in the area since childhood & recall the sites but like myself when I recall childhood memories cannot give a precise date.

love always

chris

Thanks

Default Collision Hadston/Red Row Northumberland 1940/41

Hi Chris,

It is not what you are looking for, but I've found some references to bomb drops and crash of a German aircraft.

North-East Diary1939-1945

http://www.bpears.org.uk/NE-Diary/

Hadstone

http://www.bpears.org.uk/NE-Diary/PindexH.html#H

Red Row

http://www.bpears.org.uk/NE-Diary/PindexN.html#R

Wish you good luck with the research,

Finn Buch

Thanks

Chris,,

Your best bet, as I've already advised, is to start with archived local newspapers. It's a pain going through them, but given the lack of response to date that is almost certainly the best (only) way forward.

One thing I've learnt - memory plays funny tricks.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian,
    I live just down the road from where Chris is looking and there were a hell of a lot of crashes of one type or another around there.
    I also make use of the local newspapers but, to the best of my knowledge there is nothing for this period. Usually, newspapers cover this sort of thing up to about early 1940 after that more or less nothing, as far as crashes are concerned. Only really one and that was only because it caused the death of four kids.
    So, really not all that easy.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Thanks Robert.

The point I was really trying to make was that Chris has given no indication of what he has done to resolve the query himself. Had he said he'd already gone down the paper trail I obviously wouldn't have commented. The reason I thought something might have appeared in the local press is that it must be extremely unusual for two fatal crashes to occur so close together (50 m) in such a relatively short space of time; I felt that such a coincidence would have excited a modicum of press interest - unless the witness' memory was a little adrift.

Anyway, you seem to have put a full-stop to my bright idea.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian,
    I take your point. It may be that newspapers in the more southern areas cover this type of thing but, sadly, not the north east. I believe there was quite a few crashes in and around Acklington, even more so RAF Eshott which area Chris's crashes are approaching: late 1942.
    I would suggest to Chris, place a letter in the Morpeth Herald: (published Thursdays) or the Northumberland Gazette (Fridays). People tended to drift away but may still be in the are. The Newcastle Journal at a push but they aren't very good on the more northern news.
    Back issues of the Morpeth Herald are held on micro film in Northumberland County Library, Morpeth. My experience of the Northumberland Gazette was: bound copies piled in a heap in a small cupboard within their office in Alnwick, enough to make a masochist cringe. However, I think in recent years they may also be in Northumberland County Library. Back numbers of Newcastle Journal are both original bound copies as well as on micro film in Newcastle Central Library, at the moment situated within the Civic Centre Newcastle. Hope this is of help to anyone venturing north of the Tyne for research purposes.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.