Thread: Remember Rhu

Thanks

Default Remember Rhu

In memory of those who died while serving with RAF Helensburgh I will be sending a Poppy Cross to be placed on the war memorial at nearby Rhu, Lest We Forget them as their names are not recorded there. Among the fatalities: the complete crew of Lerwick L7248 while trying to solve inherent handling problems with this type of aircraft. The Short Scion fitted with a experimental hull crashed killing scientist Mr H G White. His young assistant James Hamilton sank with the Scion but survived to become Sir James Hamilton, knighted for his design work on Concorde. I think this reflects the mettle of the men and women who served with RAF Helensburgh (Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment). Their numbers are reducing. Sir James and Aircraftman Len Townsend, both involved in the Scion experiments, passed away recently. My late father Bob Bird was the MAEE photographer at RAF Helensburgh. The Poppy Cross is in remembrance to them, too. Sixteen, possibly 17, people died in these flying accidents that continued to the end of 1945, claiming the lives of aircrew who had seen action operationally. It was tragic that they survived the war only to die in this way between October and December 1945. RAF Commands Forum is a fitting place to record their service to the country. MAEE made a major contribution to the defeat of U-Boats and improved ways of rescuing ditched RAF crew. Lest We Forget.

robin bird, Wallasey Cheshire
    Last edited by robin bird; 30th October 2015 at 14:35.

Thanks

Incidentally both Arthur Jacques and Eric Savill before MAEE served 'with courage and devotion' with 235 Mosquito Squadron, Banff. Jacques was dropping 'stores' from a MAEE Mosquito flown from Port Ellen. He planned to drop it at 40ft above sea level but the store caught a wave badly damaging the low flying aircraft that then crashed. Has any member a photograph of either Jacques or Savill? I have a picture of their graves. See also Remember Rhu. robin
    Last edited by robin bird; 30th October 2015 at 18:13.