Thread: blackened perspex

Thanks

Default blackened perspex

Hi everybody,

at a crash site we have found pieces of the perspex windows of a Lancaster. A few pieces a blackened from one side and I think it is not black because of the burning aircraft. Is it possible that some of the windows were blackened so that no light from outside could be seen during night raids? I think I once have read about this painting windows black but I do not recall the source.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Marcel

Thanks

I think we discussed this before. Perspex was also used to make the fairings over belly radar, and over DF loops. These plastic parts would usually be painted to match the surrounding part of the aircraft. In the case of belly mounted radar, the fairing would be painted black. Your pieces may come from that area.

Thanks

Hi Bill,

thanks for your answer although the topic has been discussed before.

Bye.

Marcel

Thanks

Marcel, Manchesters and Lancasters were originally fitted with a series of windows down each side of the fuselage. These continued to be fitted until at least mid-1943 but they were found to be redundant and so were deleted later on. However, some squadrons overpainted them, partly to reduce reflection from the outside, and partly to reduce glare on the inside, both from searchlights. If your part if flat, it may well be one of these windows.

Thanks

Hi Airman,

thanks for your reply. So that is the way it went.

Bye.

Marcel