Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Date and Serail of William James Gregory Baling out of a 29 Sqn aircraft Liverpool

Thanks

Default Date and Serail of William James Gregory Baling out of a 29 Sqn aircraft Liverpool

From the internet

"William James Gregory #115677, the son of a builder, was born on November 23 1913 at Hartlepool, where he attended the Lister Sealy School. Before the war, he worked for his father as a plasterer, and was drummer in the Debroy Somers Band – earning the nickname “Sticks”.

He enlisted in the RAF soon after the outbreak of war, and in May 1940 was posted to No 29 Squadron as a wireless operator/air gunner. Subsequently, he was redesignated observer/radio operator and then radar operator.

Before teaming up with Braham, Gregory had a nasty experience when he and his pilot were, as he noted in his logbook, “scrambled to intercept Huns raiding Liverpool”. They were about to shoot down a Do 17 when their Beaufighter was hit in the starboard wing by “friendly” anti-aircraft fire.

Having baled out at 16,000 feet, Gregory landed on the roof of Lime Street station – and as he climbed down to the ground rail passengers mistook him for a German airman and roughed him up."

Can anyone provide a date and serial for the Lime Street station incident - I have seen "April 1941", "around Dunkirk" mentioned. It appears 29 Sqn were at Digby at the time

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul,
    12/3/1941
    http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80011293
    cca 25:00

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Thanks for posting the link Mojmir - it's from around 26 minutes 35 seconds until the end of the reel, and he confirms the date in the interview, as well as naming his pilot as Ken Davison.

The ORB Form 541 doesn't give a serial, but it states that the Beaufighter's starboard engine cut out "about 6 miles south of Chesterfield" at 23.15, as well as suffering RT failure and both crew bailed out successfully. Aircraft crashed at location K.941823. Gregory in his recording states that the starboard wing was shot off by ack-ack.

BTW Paul, his service number is 115577, rather than 115677.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 13th November 2015 at 17:03.

Thanks

Guys thanks for that and the correction to the service number

At least h have a date to go on now and know it was a Beaufighter

Kind regards

Thanks Paul

Thanks

Paul

The ORB Form 540 (Summary of Events) states that the Beaufighter actually crashed 6 miles south of Chesterfield, which at 65 miles as the crow flies is a fair distance from Liverpool.

The Beaufighter serials that are listed in the ORB Form 541, March 1941 are all in the R2*** number range, so it may be possible to track the serial down in the relevant Air Britain book.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello,

A possibility? Beaufighter IF R2242 - 29 Sqn. S.O.C. 26.3.1941 N.F.D. A-B RAF Aircraft P1000 -R999 p.109.

Col.

Thanks

Simon, Col thanks for the help. I have no doubt that R2242 was the aircraft

I am happy know that thee details fall outside my area of research but it was good to have confirmation

Paul

Thanks

Thanks for the serial Col. I can't see any other 29 Sqn losses for March 1941 in either the Form 540 or 541.

I'm still a little confused by the ORB stating the Beaufighter crashed near Chesterfield, though.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Translation of the Cassini map reference that is given earlier puts the location at Peartree Lane, Teversal, Notts, just north of where the lane crosses the old railway line. The modern O/S grid reference is approx SK 479622. This fits well with 'about 6 miles south of Chesterfield'.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

I take it "Ken Davison" is actually

William Ken DAVISON, D.F.C. (73728), R.A.F.V.R ?