Thread: The Late Warren Mitchell

Thanks

Default The Late Warren Mitchell

Hello All,

Warren Mitchell (of Till Death Us Do Part fame) has just ‘flown through the storms into the sunset’. RIP.

Many of his Obits make mention that he Enlisted in 1944 (probably on or about his 18th birthday) together with Richard Burton. He is said to have done Nav training in Canada – but WW2 ended before he flew operationally.

His Birth was Registered as Warren Misell (Q1 1926 Hackney 1b 562). His Marriage was Registered as Warren Misell (Q2 1951 Pancras 5d 776). He changed his (stage?) name to Mitchell shortly after. Thus, he should appear in AIR 78 as ‘Misell’? He doesn’t. There is a Warren Peter Mitchell – 2543045, NSA Recruits – non-ATC, Jan 47-Jun 53, but this is unlikely to be he. He was from a Jewish background. Many such persons had ‘noms de guerre’ when Enlisting, or being Commissioned. Just how ‘legal’ were these?

The reason I ask about his RAF career is that between leaving school and joining the Met Office I was (amongst other things) the Chief Deputy Gopher at the local repertory theatre for a short period of time. I have actually acted, on stage, with the late Warren Mitchell!!!

Anybody know anything?

TIA

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 14th November 2015 at 16:27. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Dear Peter
    Thank you for sharing both your personal memories of a much loved actor, and also some very good tips on researching some whose names disappear into the system.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

So that's where you learnt how to swear!!!!!!

Thanks

Regretfully no! I played rugby after leaving school. There was some cussin' and blindin'. When I went to my first RAF station I played (occasionally) for Flying Wing! That's where the real cussin' was learned! The lot from Eng Wing were worse than we were. But the Spanner Bashers have always been the same!!!
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Going through the diaries for 2 SFTS, just about 2 or three times a week, there is the first and second rugby, football and hockey teams listed to play other local stations/teams. I do wonder how much this was conscription rather that volunteering!!!!!

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Nick, Hi,
    On Wednesday afternoons if airmen weren't playing a sport you might very well find yourself in the SWO's Army scrubbing out the NAAFI, or moving stuff in/out of MQs, or painting anything that didn't move!!! Simple choice, really!!
    Rgds
    Peter