Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle orders

Thanks

Default Battle orders

Hi all,

It looks like the only way I'll ever find out which individual code letter Blenheim Mk IV, serial T2254, wore when it was on charge of 18 Sqn (05.09.1940 till early December 1940) would be by finding a Battle Order for one of the ops it took part in. In his "Churchill's Light Brigade" Dinty Moore reproduced two 18 Sqn battle orders (not featuring T2254 of course) but the author could not recall where he got them from. Dinty was the Wop/Ag in T2254's last op with 18 Sqn but he didn't note down the aircraft letter in his log book and neither did his pilot Roger Speedy...

So, does any one know if copies of RAF battle orders have been archived somewhere please? Or are the ones that one occasionally encounters lucky survivors?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Cheers,

Walter

Thanks

Have you looked at the way the sqn's Form 541 was compiled? This might use code letters to identify individual aircraft.

Further, have you gone through Graham Warner's The Bristol Blenheim and the Air Britain monograph of 18 Sqn? These books might contain a photograph or other evidence to help you.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thank you Colin.

Sadly no aircraft letter in the ORB nor in Graham Warner's magnum opus.
    I wasn't aware of Air Britain Sqn monographs - can't find anything on those on the Air Britain website so maybe long of our print?
    If any forum member has a copy of that monograph and would like to browse through it I would be most grateful :).

Cheers,
    Walter

Thanks

Hi All,

As a follow up on my earlier request, I recently found out that the NA hold following files :

AIR 14/2685 Bomber Command orders of battle 1939-1941
    AIR 14/2696 Bomber Command orders of battle 1941-1942

Has anyone here ever had a look at those files please? Could they hold copies of the battle orders for every single squadron in Bomber Command I wonder? It would make for a lot of pages!

TIA

Walter

Thanks

I have a copy of the 18sqdn ORB appendices from 1039 to 1942, i'll take a look later and get back to you.
    Nothing in there for time period concerned, although they did start putting individual code letters to each aircraft later in 1941.
    Last edited by AlanW; 5th June 2016 at 18:11.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Lindekens View Post
    Hi All,

As a follow up on my earlier request, I recently found out that the NA hold following files :

AIR 14/2685 Bomber Command orders of battle 1939-1941
    AIR 14/2696 Bomber Command orders of battle 1941-1942

Has anyone here ever had a look at those files please? Could they hold copies of the battle orders for every single squadron in Bomber Command I wonder? It would make for a lot of pages!

TIA

Walter
    Hi Walter - firstly, no I've not looked at those files, so my next comment may well be wrong! However, I would be very surprised to find anything more than the top-level BC OrBat as given in the AHB Monographs ie Groups and Squadrons, plus details for OTU's, HCU's, BAT Flights etc.

Richard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    I have a copy of the 18sqdn ORB appendices from 1039 to 1942, i'll take a look later and get back to you.
    Nothing in there for time period concerned, although they did start putting individual code letters to each aircraft later in 1941.
    Alan, thank you for going the trouble.

Would those appendices by any chance mention flying accidents? Blenheim T2254's career with 18 Sqn ended with a Cat "B" accident on 04.12.1940, as per the aircraft movement card.
    This must have been a training accident because she's not listed in the ORB after a mission to Antwerp on 05.11.1940. The RAFM do not have this Blenheim's accident cards in their collection and the AHB only have the two cards relating to flying accidents whilst on charge of 13 Sqn.

Thanks again,

Walter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hi Walter - firstly, no I've not looked at those files, so my next comment may well be wrong! However, I would be very surprised to find anything more than the top-level BC OrBat as given in the AHB Monographs ie Groups and Squadrons, plus details for OTU's, HCU's, BAT Flights etc.

Richard
    Hi Richard,

Well you're probably right but we won't know for sure till we've seen the files, won't we :).

Cheers,

Walter

Thanks

Hello Walter,
    Richard is correct.

Regards,
    bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Thank you Bruce, for confirming what was to be expected :(.

Cheers,
    Walter