Thread: Hawker Hunter F6 XG251 - Seeking photograph

Thanks

Default Hawker Hunter F6 XG251 - Seeking photograph

Brand new to this group, I am seeking a photograph of Hunter F6, XG251.

I am putting together a small book for my family to recount my brief flying career in the RAF and beyond, and this is the only Hunter out of fifty-eight I flew in the early seventies that I do not have a picture of. Internet searches have revealed that it eventually went to Singapore, but not images.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

Stehen

Thanks

Hello Stephen, welcome to the forum. Can you tell us what squadrons this Hunter was with, and any dates?

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hi Stephen,

There is a photo in the book Blue Diamonds: The Exploits of 14 Squadron RAF 1945-2015 By Michael Napier. He doesn't credit the photo so it may be from his personal collection, you may be able to contact him via his publisher who are Pen & Sword Books Limited.

A preview with the relevant page is visible in the following Google Books link:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...0XG251&f=false

I also have a photo of Hunter XG236 which served with 66 Sqdn. It was flying from Akrotiri (where 66 Sqdn were detached) painted in Iraqi Air Force markings. The photos were apparently taken from XG251 (also of 66 Sqdn) as the pair were flying to Baghdad to act as standby aircraft for a flypast of Iraqi Hunters.

I can send copies of these if you wish.

Regards,

Jim
    Last edited by JimCorbett1977; 20th November 2015 at 07:54.
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Hello

I seem to remember that Michael is also a member of this board, so it might be possible to check the list of members and either send him a private message (pm) or an e-mail, if he has left his e-mail address in his profile.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Stephen

I came across your request by chance when trying to find out what mark of Hunter XG251 was when I photographed her at West Raynham in Oct '67.

The photo is now on my web site at http://www.na3t.org/air/photo/MIL29858

The lack of overwing SNEB bulges made me think she might have been a Mk6A but Grfiffin says she's a FGA.9 - which makes her the only SNEBless Mk9 that I have seen.

In the photo she is fitted with a pair of concrete headed rockets and practice bomb rack. Hope this helps.

Bob Hobbs