Thread: Air Ministry Laboratory / Farnborough - RAF and Civilian Service

Thanks

Default Air Ministry Laboratory / Farnborough - RAF and Civilian Service

Hello

Come across "A.M.L." ... and in 1945 some were surplus to requirements.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rown-servants/ scroll down to the 3rd paragraph from the bottom, to see the quote below ...

"The Ministry of Defence kept civilian service records until the person reached 100 years of age. Contact the Ministry of Defence for more details on how to access these records. Personal information will only be released where proof of death can be provided."

Anyone come across published Service lists of Civilian Staffs, Officers and employees of M.A.P. and Ministries including RAE, etc., during WW 2, please?

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 21st November 2015 at 12:24.

Thanks

This is an interesting question, Mark.

Eight or nine years ago I was working on a Roll of Honour for Met Office personnel, a significant number of who were civilians when they died. Other than a marble memorial in the Met office foyer, the organisation had NO information about those remembered. My obvious port of call was the Met Office Human Resources (horrible name) branch (aka HR), but it was unable to help because no files were retained. I eventually discovered that wartime files were supposed to be held at Llangennach (Defence Storage and Distribution Centre) llanlli, Carmarthenshire, but when HR made enquiries on my behalf it was told there were no files for the people in whom I was interested. I don't believe this was a story made up by HR, as my contact supported the project and was equally interested in finding an answer; indeed she went way beyond her remit to find some information about an Army officer (ex-Met Office) that the Army would not release to me.

I'm aware of the 100 year limit, but the individuals in whom I was interested would not have reached that age at the time.

I can't see that this helps you, but I will be interested to see if you come up with a definitive answer.

Brian

PS I must add that Peter (Resmorah) was my co-author.

Thanks

Hello Brian

An MoD late 1970s / early 1980 Records Policies booklet, suggested that they anticipated the then PRO, to take all the Personnel records and that many MoD departments had made great strides, already committing Personal and Personnel records to fiche or film.

But TNA started selection policies, which seems to have left many Depts with records in some format or another, that are of value to the researcher and the genealogist, but no cost effective way of allowing public access to them, it seems.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 20th November 2015 at 17:30.

Thanks

Air Ministry Laboratory, South Kensington, who moved to Farnborough, R.A.E., in the 1930s.

I presume, I am asking too much, to find a WW 2 Staff /Employee list?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 21st November 2015 at 10:11.