Thread: Polish pilots in the raf

Thanks

Default Polish pilots in the raf

Can anyone please tell me if there is a definitive list of the Poles, released from internment in Kresy-Siberia, who went on to become airmen with the Polish Air Force under the operational command of the RAF (and later as an independent air force).

I am specifically interested in a pilot named Stanislaw Jasiukiewicz who crossed over from being an army officer to being a member of the air force but only arrived at 304 Squadron two months before the War ended.

The time lapse between his release from Russia and his arrival in the Squadron is considerably greater than the norm. Was he a soldier at Tobruk or Monte Cassino during that time?

Thanks

If he was trained in the UK, then it would not be much surprising. There were pilots who reached operational units around the time. Mind you the health issues following stay in the SU as well as some reluctance to release men from the army due to shortages of the personnel.

Thanks

Neville,
    P/O Sanislaw Jasiukiewicz completed his pilot training in 16 (P) SFTS on 17 May 1944.
    Usually pilots used to practise their flying skills in non-operational units before they went to OTU for further operational training.
    I know of some Polish bomber pilots who after being released from Russian work camps in 1942, joined PAF, completed pilot training and were posted to operational squadrons no sooner than in early 1945.
    So it shouldn`t be unusual, that also P/O Jasiukiewicz started operational flying so late.

Regards,
    Greg