Thread: Wellington Z1146 VR-E "Channel Dash"

Thanks

Default Wellington Z1146 VR-E "Channel Dash"

Hello all,
    I am looking into the loss of the aircraft piloted by Richard Laing, RCAF on February 12, 1942.
    It was my assumption based on the description of the events that he and his crew were lost to AA fire.
    However I found a Dutch reference on the net from "Opgegraven Verleden," 2005 pg 43-44 attributing the kill to Oblt Diesselhort and Feldwebel Kupper pf 5/.JG1.
    I cannot find the book and alas even if I could I unfortunately I cannot speak Dutch.
    Would anyone know more?
    Thanks again,
    Bob

Thanks

TSGNO suggests that this was one of two aircraft shot down from 419 Sqn whilst attacking the Germany warships during the Channel Dash. The crews of both being killed.

Whilst Laing has no grave, another of his crew was recovered from the sea and buried at Bergen op Zoom.

That's as far as I can get!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hello Bob,

According to the ORB the Wellington took off at 17.00 hrs. Time difference between England and Occupied Countries was 1 hour in that period. Oblt Diesselhorst and Fw Kupper made their claims at 16.47 and 16.57 hrs local time respectively and can't have been responsible for the loss of Wellington Z1146.

The next day rear gunner F/Sgt Armstrong washed ashore in his dinghy near Huisduinen. F/Sgt Porrier washed ashore on 12th July 1942 near Callantsoog.

These facts, together with the South-North current of the North Sea, suggest Wellington Z1146 must have been shot down near the coast at the geographical latitude of Callantsoog or likely a bit more South of that coastal village, not earlier than 18.30 hrs local time.

What is your particular interest in this loss?

Kind regards,
    Hans Nauta

Thanks

Thank-you both for your prompt and most helpful replies.
    I am researching Richard Laing, the pilot, for a book on the War Dead of Montreal West (Canada). I reviewed his personnel file and the relevant ORBs and in addition came across a website that referenced him (http://www.spiritofcanada.com/vetera...t=theLongMarch).I was perplexed by the Dutch reference I found, particularly seeing as it was the only one that attributed the loss and just wanted to check my facts and although my library is growing, alas it is still incomplete.
    Thanks again for your help. It really is very much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Bob