Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC Recordings of returning crews

Thanks

Default BBC Recordings of returning crews

Does anyone know if it is at all possible to access recordings of crews? I know that after the raid on Homburg on 27th August 1944 several returning crews from 78 Squadron were interviewed and recordings made in a BBC van at Breighton. I'd love to hear what they said but haven't got a clue where to start, Ive looked at the BBC Archive website but it has been closed and there is no contact details for them. Grateful for any pointers.

Thanks

Daz

Thanks

Dear Daz
    My suggestion would have been the BBC Archive. However, you could always see if Hendon or the IWM have anything in their sound archive. I think you can access some stuff on line on the IWM web site.
    Finally you could always try the BBC via the old fashioned way of the electric telephone or even a letter via Postman Pat! The old fashioned way has proved very successful for me many times, though admittedly not with the BBC.
    Happy hunting
    James

Thanks

James
    Ive tried Hendon but they don't have anything, I think I'll put pen to paper and write to the Beeb. Thanks for your suggestions.

Daz

Thanks

Daz,
    Try the BBC sound archives, there is a briefing
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/learning/school...s/raf_briefing
    and other items.

Paul H

Thanks

Daz,
    If you have any luck, please pass on how you did it. I tried a few years ago to establish if a particular BBC wartime recording had survived and couldn't find anyone willing to even look further than their own website. I also tried Visnews (now associated with ITN) who for many years ran a preservation project for old recordings and they at least had some sort of index for reference, although sadly it did not include what I wanted. It has been a while since I tried to trace anything, so good luck and please keep us informed.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Many, many years ago, I wrote to BBC Archives, re the sudden switching off of transmitters, which Bomber Command crews were using for Navigation that night, but never had a reply. As there was a file regarding this Policy at the then PRO, Kew.

It seems some material about the BBC is accessed through University Collections ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/historyofthebbc/research
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 26th November 2015 at 08:33.

Thanks

If the BBC is a publicly funded body, does the FOI Act not apply in this case?
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Very good idea, Jonny! One gets the distinct impression that the current hierarchy of the BBC thinks it is superior to Parliament and the Law simply because it thinks it has a “duty” to be above such mundane things as the lawfully elected governance of this country, and report on what they are doing! See if we can bring them down to size, and answer the question! But I wouldn’t bet too much of your money that they will find a way of wriggling out of it!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

FOI rules? I wish it was so, but I believe not. Perhaps some legal pro among us can clarify. If I'm right, the reason it doesn't apply is because the recordings are not being withheld by choice but rather because they (if they exist at all) are not in any known location. The old tapes and wax discs had a natural shelf life and required specific storage conditions to avoid complete self-destruction, and many, many recordings were chucked out without even being examined when these conditions were breached to excess. Many others were labeled with reference numbers (such as KH34b) which means nothing without the original stores book. Without proof of the existance of a particular recording AND the way to identify it, an archive has no obligation to mount an extensive (expensive) research project to hand over recordings.

I am perfectly happy to be corrected, but the above story is the way it was explained to me by someone who spent some time on the Visnews archive project.
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hello All

The BBC is run by a Board of Governors and apparently, only mainly responsible to comply with the terms of its Licence to government. The BBC appears to be answerable to government, but not part of the government?

BBC researchers once made an appeal for a photograph of P/O Martyn Aurel KING.
    http://www.pprune.org/aviation-histo...urel-king.html

Alan Steer of Fawley Church emailed me a photo of a single coffin RAF funeral at Fawley which the BBC had got, but Mr Steer and I could see this was the wrong funeral.

I emailed the BBC evidence, that P/O King was buried, with those found from the 77 Sqn Whitley near West End village and most of the Hudson crew of 1 OTU, Silloth.

The 8 funeral photos I had, could not be scanned until the following day.

The BBC sent me a stern email, about their deadline targets, how it was with production and now too late, but the 8 photos were emailed as promised the next morning, which I saw in the documentary a while after.

It was claimed that P/O King's loss, was a failure of the parachute.

When the BBC want something from you, they are very demanding and cheeky! But when you write to their Archives, there is no reply.

Kind regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 27th November 2015 at 14:25.