Thread: National archive

Thanks

Default National archive

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone have any idea when or indeed if the RAF Air Historical Branch are going to release the records they hold re downed aircraft reports and the fate of the crews etc around November 1943? There was talk from them that they were handing all the old files over to the National Archive. I only ask as I would very much like to see what information they have on my great uncles aircraft DV329 (Lanc lost 23/11/43), as they seem very reluctant to divulge too much to me and seem very guarded with thier infomation. Kind regards Fred

Thanks

Good question, I think you might be waiting for some time. Currently AIR 81 only has files up to August 1940, the first two batches of files were transferred six months apart, that was nearly 18 months ago so there is either going to be a large batch released or they have quietly forgotten about the plan and have hoped no-one has noticed. I am certainly disappointed in the time that has passed since the last release, especially when AHB get asked a question (I know of them being asked about a 1942 incident) and the reply is the file has already entered the transfer process to TNA and they cannot access it.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

If patience is a virtue, then we are all VERY virtuous!

I'll go back to watching paint dry... it is a little quicker.
    James