Thread: 55 squadron 7th April 1944

Thanks

Default 55 squadron 7th April 1944

I cannot find the details for the loss of a 55 Squadron Baltimore on 7th April 1944. All I have found is three crew members F/Sgt Kenneth Turner, F/Sgt Tom Caldecutt and F/Sgt Kenneth Cowley were buried behind enemy lines at Giuncano Scalo and later moved to Assisi War Cemetery. The fate of the fourth crew member is not known at present.
    Tried all I know but nothing about the mission, cannot find the 4th man (They did have a crew of four didn't they ?)

Thanks in advance to any expert who comes up with the answer

Tony

Thanks

Tony

Not sure if you've already seen it, but this loss is mentioned in the book "From Hitler's U-Boats to Kruschev's Spyflights: Twenty Five Years with Flight Lieutenant Thomas Buchanan Clark, RAF" by Chris Clark.

Baltimore FA623 'A' was shot down by a Bf-109E on a mission to attack hydro-electric works at Papigno. The book says the Baltimore exploded and all the crew lost.

Crew are given as:
    F/Sgt Cowley
    F/O Hetherton
    F/Sgt Caldecott
    F/Sgt Turner

However, there's no match for 'Hetherton' on the CWGC website...guess the ORB may be the best place to look.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks for reply..I have actually now got the answer from TNA The RAF 540 was on line and gave me full crew and details, then "Findmypast" gave me F/O Hetherton as a PoW, hence his absence from CWGC..Must get used to this NA download system, got two of wrong files before I eventually sorted it, waste of 7 but hey, I got there in the end

Once again, Thanks for your reply

Tony