Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which squadron has taken part in a night raid?

Thanks

Default Which squadron has taken part in a night raid?

Hi,

can anybody tell me how I can get to know which squadrons took part on a special night raid, in this case the raid of 22./23.5.1944?

Thanks.

Marcel

Thanks

Do you have any more details on the operation?

Daz

Thanks

Hi Marcel
    Not sure what Special means in this context but Chorley's Bomber Command Losses records the loss of 4 Halifax a/c on this night. One each from 425,429, and 432 Sqn whilst attacking railway targets at Le Mans and a Halifax V of 77 Sqn attacking rail targets at Orleans. In addition 24 OTU lost a Whitley V dropping leaflets in the Alencon area.
    There was a considerable effort against Braunschweig and Dortmund that night but I am guessing that the French targets are of closer interest.
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 8th December 2015 at 15:24.

Thanks

Marcel,
    I`m not sure which special raid that night you mean. According to Night Raid Report for 22/23 May 1944, BC despatched a/c to following targets:
    Dortmund - 361 Lancasters & 14 Mosquitoes
    Brunswick - 225 Lancasters & 10 Mosquitoes
    Orleans - 12 Lancasters, 108 Halifaxes & 8 Mosquitoes
    Le Mans - 112 Halifaxes, 13 Lancasters & 8 Mosquitoes
    Ludwigshaven - 26 Mosquitoes
    Courtrai - 9 Mosquitoes.
    Apart from those there were numerous minelaying operations that night.
    If you can indicate what raid you`re interested in, we can make further checks in appropriate Bomber Group ORB.

Regards,
    Greg

Thanks

Greg, bottom of page five shows Special Operations, 9 aircraft made special sorties without loss, possibly those at Coutrai, which for some reason i id'd as Lancs in my previous post, eyes need testing.
    Last edited by AlanW; 8th December 2015 at 14:32.

Thanks

Sorry that I answer so late, but I just came home ...

Thanks for your answers.

My poor english made me write of a "special" raid, but I just wanted to say that I am interested in especially one raid, which is the Dortmund raid. I wondered if there is a list where I can see the squadrons which have taken part on that raid on 22/23.5.1944. Sorry for that confusion. I think the sqaudrons are not in the night raid report of Bomber Command, but maybe of 1 Group which I do not have. I have not seen such a report before so if anyone can send me this one for that day, I would be happy to have a look on it. Where do you get these? From National Archives?
    The aircraft I am researching is from 166 squadron which crashed after the attack against Dortmund.

Marcel

Thanks

The night raid report states that groups 1, 3, 6 and 8 participated on that raid on Dortmund.

Marcel

Thanks

Marcel,
    According to 1 Group ORB, the following squadrons provided their crews for Dortmund raid:
    460 Sqn 22 a/c
    625 Sqn 17 a/c
    100 Sqn 15 a/c
    103 Sqn 14 a/c
    576 Sqn 17 a/c
    166 Sqn 24 a/c
    550 Sqn 16 a/c
    101 Sqn 18 a/c
    12 Sqn 12 a/c
    626 Sqn 14 a/c
    300 (P) Sqn 8 a/c
    Of 184 Lancasters detailed, 183 took off.

Unfortunately 3 Group ORB does not provide any details of squadrons involved in this operation except the total number of 84 a/c which took off successfully.

6 Group ORB gives the number of 16 a/c of 408 RCAF Sqn and 12 a/c of 419 RCAF Sqn which were detailed for this raid (one a/c failed to take off).

8 Group ORB similarly to 3 Group doesn`t indicate the squadrons involved apart from the number of 67 Lancasters & 14 Mosqitoes sent to Dortmund.

I hope it helps,
    Greg
    Last edited by Grexx; 8th December 2015 at 21:18.

Thanks

Hi Greg,

thanks for the details.

Bye.

Thanks

No. 35 Squadron (8 Group) Operations Record Book shows that it dispatched 16 aircraft. 2 had to abandon due to severe icing and one failed to return

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]