Thread: Fleet Air Arm mine laying 1940

Thanks

Default Fleet Air Arm mine laying 1940

Sorry not really a specifically RAF question but can anyone tell me from where the Fleet Air Arm launched its mine laying sorties in April 1940 against the North German and then Dutch coasts? I do not think it was from an aircraft carrier but I am not sure. Failing that point me to a forum who might know the answer!

Thanks

Hi Barnsley

It was 826 Sqn FAA (Fairey Albacore), on detachment to Bircham Newton from June 1940, who carrried out minelaying and bombing strikes against shipping between southern Denmark and northeast France.

Source: Britain's Fleet Air Arm in World War II by Ron Mackay (pages 50-51)

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Hello Barnsley,
    Any particular date?

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Thank you Finn and Bruce. I have information about Bomber Command and Coastal Command mine laying in home waters but information on FAA mining is very sketchy in the RAF narratives. I know that the FAA loaned Swordfish a/c to Coastal Command in 1943 for mine laying but that's about it as far as my knowledge goes! Finn, does the Mackay book have a lot about mine laying in which case I might have to shell out?! Did carrier based aircraft ever drop mines of the North sea coast of Germany/Holland?

Thanks

Hi Barnsley

Not much, but I took a look in another book.

812 Squadron. (HMS Glorius)

"Glorius was recalled to the Home Fleet on the German invasion of Norway, but 812 was assigned to Coastal Command for minelaying off the Dutch coast."

Source: The Fleet Air Arm Handbook 1939-1945 by David Wragg (page 150).

"826 Squadron. Operated as part of Coastal Command until 11/40, based at Birchham Newton. Making 22 night attacks against coastal targets, dropping 7 tons of mines and 56 tons of bombs. Credited with the destruction of 5 ememy aircraft on the ground."

Source: The Fleet Air Arm Handbook 1939-1945 by David Wragg (page 162).

------------

My best guess to answer your question, must be 812 Squadron (Swordfish) RAF North Coates (Coastal Command).

http://www.epibreren.com/ww2/raf/812_squadron.html

Regards

Finn Buch