Thread: Correct terminology for BCATP facilities?

Thanks

Default Correct terminology for BCATP facilities?

Entering a number of units in the database that drives my website yesterday, I wondered about the right way to handle the training units that were part of the BCATP.

For instance, I have considered 1 Service Flying Training School (Camp Borden, Ontario) being basically a RCAF unit and as such used the terminologi "1 Service Flying Training School, RAAF", but know I wonder if it would instead be more correct to use "1 Service Flying Training School, BCATP"

The same question apply to all these units, that were discussed in another thread the other day, and the right way to handle them may differ, as some of the units were under civil authority according to "Aerodrome of Democracy"

In comparison, I have used "1 Service Flying Training School, RAAF" (Point Cook, VIC) to describe this school, which was part of the EATS.

I hope that somebody is able to clarify this, admitted, basic question.

Regards
    Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel,

Keep to the air force nomenclature.

EATS/BCATP was simply the name of the training SCHEME which was carried out by various countries air forces - it had no bearing on the naming of the training units that participated in the scheme.

Errol

Thanks

Mikkel, I fully agree with Errol - the unit names does not include the training scheme name.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thank you Errol and Pavel.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

As Errol and Pavel stated, the RCAF documents from the era refer to the units in Canada as RCAF - with one small exception.

A number of RAF Schools were formed in Canada, all numbered in the 30 or 40 series: for example No. 32 EFTS at Bowden, Alberta. Early Canadian documents identify these as RAF units. The Schools gradually transferred to RCAF support and command, and would later be refered to as RCAF units. A few were renumbered outside the 30 and 40 series late in the war. I would be interested in knowing how any RAF documents identifed these RAF units in Canada.

Another interesting point - many RCAF documents from early in the war refer to the BCATP as JATP, Joint Air Training Plan. Later in the war the training effort would sometimes be identified as CTE - Canadian or Central Training Establishment? BCATP, JATP and CTE always seem to refer to the whole effort, or some higher command structure, not to individual schools.

Thanks

Thank you for clarifying this Bill

Mikkel