Thread: Location of RAF bombing ranges in Egypt

Thanks

Default Location of RAF bombing ranges in Egypt

Hello,

Can someone provide the descriptions and locations of the RAF bombing range in Egypt in WWII. From what I have heard there were several in the area between Suez, Ismalaia and Cairo.

I am especially interested in the location of the "Suez road bombing range" described as the crash site of the Bombay I L5821 of 216 Sqn on 17 December 1940.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

According to the book "Though Without Anger" by Cummings, L5821 crashed at "No 1 Suez Road Bombing Range". A "No 2 Suze Road Bombing Range" also exists.

The above book also provides a longer casualty list than the MTO bomber loss by Gunby and Temple. The latter gives the names of seven RAF casualties, while Cummings says that there were six crew (also listed by Gunby and Temple) and four passengers aboard, believed to be an AC2 of the RAF (also listed by Gunby and Temple), a RASC driver and two soldiers of the 2nd Battalion Scot Guards. Cummings also said that the aircraft's center of gravity might have been affected by the passengers moving about the aircraft. It was also observed that the extra passengers were being carried without apparent authority (my comment: this may explain why they won't appear in some documents).