Thread: ID of Halifax X9-M 517Sqn.

Thanks

Default ID of Halifax X9-M 517Sqn.

I am looking for the serial number of the Halifax 517 Sq. X9-M which ditched in the Atlantic and floated for 7 hours, sorry I do not have a date.
    MTIA
    Tony K

Thanks

Hi Tony

the aircraft wasn't 517 but 518 Squadron. The aircraft in question was Halifax Y3-M (LW170)., piloted by S/L P C Piejus. It was on a BISMUTH sortie on the 10th August 1945. On the return journey they ran out of fuel about 140 nautical miles west of Tiree (15°20’N 11°20’W), and ditched at 08.50. In the enquiry, Piejus stated that there had been a fuel leak, though the Technical Officer decided that this could have been isolated by the proper use of the fuel balance cocks.

They were rescued at 17.00.

Kington & Rackliff, in "Even the Birds Were Walking", point out that the caption for the photo of the floating Halifax is often wrong because the Y3 has been misinterpeted as X9.

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 6th June 2008 at 08:45. Reason: typo

Thanks

Halifax 57 Rescue group in Canada are planning to recover LW170 http://www.57rescuecanada.com/

Linzee

Thanks

Thank you Amrit and Linzee,
    My Air Britain "Halifax File" shows the photo ref IWM C5462 captioned as X9-M and no serial. I eventually located my "Even the Birds Were Walking" which contains the information you supplied. An improved filing system is imperative instead of filing everything under "C" (for chaos).
    Many thanks, kind regards
    Tony K