Thread: Samuel David Earwaker RNZAF

Thanks

Default Samuel David Earwaker RNZAF

SD Earwaker 404345 NZ .Arrived at 122 Sqd from 53 OTU ON THE 27/11/42 , on the 24/1/43 he was killed when his Spitfire BS109 dived into the ground nr Chelmsford .

recently i have been given some artifacts from this spitfire and told that this Aircraft was excavated in the 1960's ? W/O Earwakers brother being in attendance during the excavation does anyone know anything about the excavation any detail on this would be most helpful.

Thank you

Phill Jones

Thanks

Hi there Phill Jones,
    I tried to join this site to post information on this Spitfire crash recovery, I will see if this works.
    I am from New Zealand, I am flatmate of the Nephew of WO S D Earwaker, (a Mr Peter William Earwaker of Auckland, NZ) and also I am from Christchurch, NZ and my Father was a RNZAF Pilot after WW2 and on information from my Flatmate Peter, with my father, I visited the RNZAF Wigram Airforce Museum in Sockburn, Christchurch as the engine from the crashed Spitfire of WO S D Earwaker's is on display in the Wigram Airforce Museum, it is in a very crumpled state for a V12 Merlin engine but is still very recognisable as such, it is well labelled and attests to the tragedy, in his Auckland home, Mr Peter Earwaker has one of the pistons from that engine on display on his bookcase along with a Squadron photo with WO S D Earwaker in that photo, hope this helps some, for any further information you can contact the RNZAF Wigram Airforce Museum, Christchurch, NZ direct, I'm sure they will be happy to assist in any way with information. Regards. Mark Fletcher.

Thanks

Hi Mark ,
    Thank you for posting this and thanks for getting back to me , if you dont mind can i mail you tomorrow Rgs Phill Jones

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phill jones View Post
    Hi Mark ,
    Thank you for posting this and thanks for getting back to me , if you dont mind can i mail you tomorrow Rgs Phill Jones
    Hi Mr Phill Jones, happy for you to email me at rotormate at yahoo dot com, pleased to be of some assistance as also have offered with much encouragement from Peter Earwaker, to try and visit the crash site for him while I am over here, so will see how that goes, thank you. Regards. Mark Fletcher.

Thanks

Default RNZAF Museum Wigram Update & photo & Link:

Quote Originally Posted by Rotormate View Post
    Hi Mr Phill Jones, happy for you to email me at rotormate at yahoo dot com, pleased to be of some assistance as also have offered with much encouragement from Peter Earwaker, to try and visit the crash site for him while I am over here, so will see how that goes, thank you. Regards. Mark Fletcher.
    Research <research@airforcemuseum.co.nz>
    To:Mark Fletcher

10 Oct at 8:36 am

Kia ora Mark,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. A combination of school holidays and illness conspired. Hi is a photograph of 1981.225b, the engine block you were interested in.

Details of its loss are given below by Errol Martyn in For Your Tommorow, Vols 2-3:

Sun 24 Jan 1943
    FIGHTER COMMAND
    Height climb
    122 Squadron, RAF (Hornchurch, Essex - 11 Group)
    Spitfire IX BS109 - took off at about 1545 and 25 minutes later dived from 30,000 feet, entering a spin at 5000
    feet then diving straight into the ground north of Chelmsford (at ref M2036). The pilot is buried at Hornchurch.
    Investigators were critical of the inadequate instruction he had received concerning use of oxygen; the bayonet
    union joining his mask to the economiser, not being securely connected, had become detached.
    Pilot: NZ404345 Wt Off Samuel David EARWAKER, RNZAF - Age 26. 574hrs (about 62 on Spitfire).
    2 ops.

EARWAKER, Warrant Officer Samuel David.
    NZ404345; b Chch 25 Dec 16; Chch BHS; clerk - T H Green & Co, Chch.
    RNZAF Levin/GTS as Airman Pilot u/t 24 Nov 40, 3EFTS 27 Dec 40,
    2FTS 13 Mar 41, Pilots Badge [wef 14.4.41] & Sgt 24 May 41, att RAF
    & emb for UK 18 Jun 41, 3PRC 31 Jul 41, 10AGS (Defiant) as staff pilot
    10 Aug 41, a/c acc (uninj?) 19 Feb 42, a/c acc (uninj?) 11 Aug 42, 53OTU
    (Spitfire) 1 Sep 42, 122 Sqn (Spitfire - 2 ops) 27 Nov 42, kaa 24 Jan
    43. Hornchurch Cemetery - Sec.A. grave 1362, Essex, England. Son of
    William Samuel & Lily Harris Earwaker (née Moore), Chch; h of Phyllis
    Seyer Earwaker (née Washer, later Spence), Chch. [phot. TWN 17.3.43].

A photo can also be found on the Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph database:

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-me.../record/C23601

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Simon moody

Simon Moody
    Research Curator

T: 03 343 9521
    45 Harvard Ave, Wigram, Christchurch 8042, NZ
    www.airforcemuseum.co.nz
    Registered with the Charities Commission – CC20363

The information contained in this Internet Email message is intended for the addressee only and may contain privileged information, but not necessarily the official views or opinions of the New Zealand Defence Force. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or
    distribute this message or the information in it. If you have received this message in error, please Email or telephone the sender immediately.

Sent: Thursday, 26 September 2019 12:02 AM
    To: Research <research@airforcemuseum.co.nz>
    Subject: WO Samuel Earwaker Spitfire engine that was on display in AF Museum 2007/8/9?

Dear Mr Simon Moody,

I am the person that spoke to you around the 10th-12th September when down in Christchurch attempting to locate and photograph the Rolls Royce Merlin engine donated to the Museum of WO Samuel Earwaker's Spitfire, (in very bad shape as it had crashed from 30,000ft approx. during testing oxygen equipment in Britain in WW2.)

Please refer to this site for a number of reasons for trying to locate and photograph the specific engine that I and my Father viewed at the ChCh Wigram Airforce Museum back in approx. 2007, 2008, 2009 before the earthquakes.

Please see:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...Earwaker-RNZAF

Any information at all you can obtain and forward to me would be very much appreciated here in NZ and UK.

Also any information you may have or be able to find/locate on Mr Harold Affleck, Mechanic for Sir Charles Kingsford Smith on the Southern Cross would also be appreciated, (as he was Brother to my Great Uncle and Aunt: Mr Geoffrey and Mrs Vera Affleck, Geoffrey, (my Uncle Geoff was born in Ohakune where I now live and this is my Aunty Vera, (nee Moore): https://www.tributes.co.nz/ViewMyTribute.aspx?id=285 but there is very, very little on the Affleck Family anywhere) thank you.

Thank you.

Regards.

Mark Fletcher.