Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Sergeant George W Scott 19 and 64 sqn - BoB

Thanks

Default Pilot Sergeant George W Scott 19 and 64 sqn - BoB

wouI am trying to ascertain the time frames for Scott on each squadron. Right now I have very little information on him except that he apparently went on to 601 sqn and was awarded the AFC at some point. I would be grateful for any incite.

thanks

John Bennett

Thanks

from Men of the Battle of Britain (New Edition)

GEORGE WARDROP SCOTT
    62257 Sgt Pilot British 64 and 19 Squadrons

In December 1937 Scott joined the RAFVR, as an Airman u/t Pilot (740968) and was called up at
    the outbreak of war.
    With his training completed, he probably joined 64 Squadron at Leconfield from 7 OTU about
    September 18 1940. Scott made his first operational sortie on the 21st and saw his first enemy
    aircraft on the 23rd. He moved to 19 Squadron at Fowlmere on September 25 1940.

Commissioned in March 1941, Scott was awarded the AFC (8.6.44) for his work as an instructor
    in the Spitfire Wing at CGS, Sutton Bridge.
    He commanded 124 Squadron at Westhampnett from September 1944 to June 1945, operating in
    Mosquitos.
    Released in late 1945, as a Squadron Leader, Scott rejoined British Aluminium, at Fort William,
    as Technical Assistant in the Carbon Plant. In 1947 he joined the RAuxAF and was with it until 1956,
    when he went to Canada, to work for the Canadian British Aluminium Company.
    He was made an MBE (1.6.53), in recognition of his volunteer service as a pilot in the defence of
    the United Kingdom. At the time of the award, Scott was a Flight Commander in 603 Squadron.
    He settled in Canada and died there in 1986
    PO 5.3.41 FO 5.3.42 FL 5.3.43 FO (RAuxAF) 22.3.48 FL (AAF) 1.4.50

Thanks

Thank you very much Paul - you have made my Christmas

John

Thanks

John

George Scott was my commanding officer when I flew with 124 Squadron in 1945. I feel I should correct one point amongst Paul's information: contrary to the information in 'Men of The Battle of Britain', 124 Squadron was not flying Mosquitos at the time, it was flying Spitfire IX HFs. We were undertaking dive-bombing operations against the V2 rocket launching sites near The Hague in Holland. If you would like more information on these sorties, my son has contributed to 124 Squadron's Wikipedia entry, and you can take it that the information on this aspect of 124's activities is accurate.

124 Squadron was posted to RAF Hutton Cranswick, Yorkshire, for squadron training, on 27 April. George Scott as S/L signed off my monthly total of flying hours and logbook entries at the end of May, but by the end of June, the C/O of 124 was S/L Harrison.

If you would like any more information on Squadron Leader Scott I will do my best to reply.

Keith Lawrence.

Thanks

Keith
    Do you remember by any chance any Polish airmen, with whom you served on?
    Thanks
    Franek

Thanks

Keith

S/L Scott was the grandfather of my son-law who has followed in his footsteps and currently flies CP140 Aurora acft out of Greenwood NS for the RCAF. Apparently Scott was a quiet man and did not speak of his wartime service very much. We are trying to pull as much information together as possible in order to preserve and honour his activities for future generations. I shall certainly use 124 Squadron's Wiki entry with confidence. If you have a jpg file of squadron IX HF spits I would appreciate a copy.

John Bennett

Thanks

John

Do you have a copy of the squadron photo? In Keith's logbook there is a squadron photo taken in March 1945 at RAF Coltishall. It shows 23 squadron members standing and sitting in front of a Spitfire IX, in similar fashion to a school photo. In the centre of the middle row, beneath the spinner, is the C/O, Squadron Leader George Scott (known to his pilots as Scotty). In his logbook Keith has, alongside the photo, named all those who were present when the photo was taken (five pilots were 'not present' on the day of the photo).

If you don't have a copy of this photo, I will do my best to let you have a copy, but would prefer to do this from my home, under my own forum name and email address. I hope that I could do this in the next week or so. Please let us know whether you already have this photo, or whether you would like me to scan and send it to you. I don't know the mechanics of learning your email address through this Forum, but I expect I can work it out...

All the best,

Geoff and Keith L.

Thanks

Hello Geoff and Keith

No we do not have the squadron photo but we would really appreciate a copy - it would be a great addition to our collection - I use an Hotmail address for all my web activity which I do not mind showing in this forum - radiomanspecial(at)hotmail.com
    Thanks

John B

Thanks

John

The width of the photo plus the list of pilots is wider than an A4 landscape sheet, so I can't do it 'in one go' on my scanner. I'll borrow the original of Keith's logbook and take it to a stationers when I've got time and get an A3 scan, which will give a better result.

Paul's Men of the Battle extract mentioned that George Scott had been an Instructor at the Central Gunnery School at RAF Sutton Bridge. I've got some info on this that may be of interest, but I'll make it a separate thread, as it's better covered under its own heading because other forum members may well have some additional information which might otherwise get missed.

Keith is interested to know what postings George may have had in addition to instructing at the CGS, after being commissioned and up to the start of the dive-bombing of the V2 sites in February 1945. We are assuming that you are not in possession of George's Flying Logbook?

Another point is that the 'Men of the Battle' extract mentions Mosquitos, but the Wikipedia page on 124 [not the section I contributed] makes no mention of Mosquitos in fact it appears from this that 124 flew Spitfires (of one Mark or another) from May 1941 to April 1945.

All the best,

Geoff and Keith L.

Thanks

Keith and Geoff

You are more than kind and we really appreciate all of your help. George went operational with 64 Sqn mid Sept 1940 and by the end of that month he was flying with 19 Sqn. He remained with 19 Sqn until the summer of 1941 then to 133 Sqn on hurricanes for a couple of months. In Sept 1941 he went to 601 Sqn when they were equipping with P39 Aircobra acft. He then was posted as an instructor to 55 OTU and then to CGS (I do not have firm dates for this segment of his career). In early 1944 he was posted to 130 Sqn as A Flight commander. Promoted in Sept 1944 he was then posted to 124 Sqn as CO

John