Thread: BAFO Hurricane LF371 - Crashed Langham 5-Oct-45

Thanks

Default BAFO Hurricane LF371 - Crashed Langham 5-Oct-45

Hurricane LF371 crashed after hitting a mast while flying at night on 5th October 1945. The location of the accident is quoted in a couple of books as Langham which I am taking to be RAF Langham in Norfolk. The aircraft was operated by the British Air Force of Occupation Communications Wing so the location of the accident seems a little strange.

If anyone can provide further details of this accident including confirmation of the point of departure and intended destination, details of the pilot and his fate and positive confirmation of the accident site that would be much appreciated.

I am guessing there may be some information in the BAFO ORB AIR24/686 if by any chance anyone has a copy of this.

As always many thanks for any information.

J
    Last edited by norfolkjohn; 27th December 2015 at 13:38. Reason: Correcting date in narative

Thanks

I couldn't find an RAF Form 1180 for this loss but did find that the Movements Card listed the aircraft as being with BAFO and that it was struck off charge after the accident, despite an original categorisation as repairable - not surprising decision really given the situation with the type.

There are many reasons why the aircraft would have been at Langham but it was probably being used as a 'communications aircraft' and hence treated as a 'hack' rather than as an operational type.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks for that Colin. From the initial categorisation I'd guess the pilot was OK.
    If anyone can come up with further details it would still be greatly appreciated. Just for clarification the date of the accident is definitely the 5th of October. I incorrectly stated 10th in the OP but have corrected this

Thanks again
    J