Thread: 21 Sector Casualties, Omaha Beach, D-Day

Thanks

Default 21 Sector Casualties, Omaha Beach, D-Day

According to the 21 Sector Operations Record Book, Mobile Radar Unit GCI15082 and it's associated Mobile Signals Units lost 1 Officer and 10 Other Ranks killed during the landing of GCI15082 on Omaha Beach on the evening of 6th June 1944 and on the following day. The Officer and five of the Airmen have been identified as being buried in Bayeux War Cemetery leaving 5 Other Ranks who should be commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. I have searched the CWGC website for entries on this Memorial and having eliminated all possible names by reference to various records on line, have been unable to identify any of the five Airmen. Can anyone assist please?

Thanks

Hi

Three of them could have been: -

FINCH, WILLIAM MAJOR (1650137) age: 21 RAFVR LAC - 2834 Sqn RAF Reg
    FANCOURT, ALBERT HENRY (862656) age: 30 RAF LAC - 1 RAF Beach Unit
    McNAUGHT, JOSEPH (1562096) age: 39 RAFVR LAC - 1 RAF Beach Unit

These three are on the Runnymede Memorial and could have been attached to 15082 GCI.

I cannot see any other unaccounted airmen for 6 Jun so maybe the other two were not airman but soldiers or sailors?

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm,
    Thank you for the reply. I had located the three men who you mention but from info obtained elsewhere had discounted them as having been in Units which did not land on Omaha. 2834 Sqn, RAF Regiment I have as destined for Juno Beach and No. 1 RAF Beach Unit destined for Sword beach. I will re-check this in case I am in error.
    The first echelon of the Mobile Radar Unit in which I am interested, GCI15082, comprised about 64 officers and men and attached Mobile Signals Units plus others numbered about 126 officers and men. It seems that there was one member of a Bomb Disposal Unit within this group of about 180plus (Cpl Francis Eldridge Middleton, 1285110, of No. 6205 BDF) who is buried in Bayeux War Cemetery so there were almost certainly other small groups of non radar or signals. There may have been members of the RAF Regiment but again, I have not been able to link any RAF Squadrons to No. 21 Sector as yet. As far as other support (ie Beach Squadrons, Balloon Squadrons etc) I have tended to discount their presence as these functions will almost certainly have been American responsibilities on Omaha beach? I could be in error on this and will keep searching
    Thank you again

Ron