Thread: LG Advice

Thanks

Default LG Advice

Hi,

Firstly, a happy New Year to one and all!

I am working on a data base of airman that served, died and passed through 218 & 623 Squadron and their subsequent fates. I am trying to record their postings and movements, awards and obviously where appropriate the details their deaths. ( This is the most sobering part to date, the casualty rate for the individual airman "post" 218 & 623 is running towards 60%. Obviously, this will improve from mid 1944 onwards but I am only at April 44).

To my question, using the LG for details on New Zealanders, Canadians it is really hit and miss, I enter their service number as recorded in the ORB, and the "hit" success is 50%. I have tried various methods of writing the service number in the search box, but again with varied results! To those who use the LG regularly, what is the best method to approach this, is their a particular way of inputting the service number?

Any help / pointer or advice welcome.

Kind regards

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 2nd January 2016 at 09:34.
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve

I have just been using Google Search to find the LG entries rather than use the LG search; it may be worth giving that route a try if you haven't done so already.

Ross's search engine provided good results, but that has been offline for a while and I don't know if he has any plans to make it available again (Ross .... Any news on this front?)

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Steve,

For what it is worth, you could try using the Canada Gazette for your RCAF types. It can take a wee while to wade through the results (you generally get both French and English versions), but I find that it provides a very good hit rate:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...0-100.01-e.php

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

LG lists promotions for the RAF,RAFVR. RAFO etc only. You should not expect to find RCAF RNZAF etc listed therein except in the event the received a reward or MiD.

Are you just searching for awards in those cases?

You have to appreciate the limitations of the acanning process too. Its computer recognised text on old dirty pages with digits that resemble letters.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Sadly the scanning on the Canadian one is next to abysmal. It is terribly hit and miss. The scans are low resolution and letters and numbers meld together so that results can be just giberish.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Steve,

As Dennis mentioned the Canada Gazette is rather shoddy when it comes to legible data.

The 100% guaranteed way to get a man's data, which, unless you prove he has been dead 20 years, is to follow the advice I offered you here:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...issing-aircrew

Once you have full name an place of enlistment and demob you can start looking for obituaries.

You don't have to send in requests one at a time. Put together a list, send it in and wait about six months.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Steve,

The New Zealand Gazette is not online and about the only time RNZAF personnel appear on the LG is where they have won an honour or award.

Errol

Thanks

Gents,

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

It looks like a long project this one !

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~