Thread: person trace post

abingdonman Guest

Default person trace post

A year or so ago i put up a message that i was trying to trace a Mr E.G.H.Day who spent some time in the Oxford area 1943....
    i actually managed to find an E.G.H.Day who was shot down in an Avro Lancaster W4242. 106 squadron. on 08-10-43....all the crew were killed.
    although it must be unlikely that you would have 2 men with exactly the same 3 initials in the same time span, i have real doubts that this is the man i,m trying to trace...

I guess i,m clutching at straws here,but i was considering the possiblility that he may have been through an OTU course at Abingdon or in the Oxford area in 1943 and flew in the above mentioned Lancaster on October 8th 1943....would that be feasable?

anyway...thanks for looking
    Steve.

Thanks

Hi Steve
    Just in case you don't have this already.CWGC gives his full name as Edward George Havelock Day but doesn't give an age. He is buried at Hanover. His Captain was P/O J E Hay RAAF but his casualty file has not yet been made available on the National Archive of Australia.It was not entirely the norm to go from OTU to Sqn, there would have been time spent at a Heavy Conversion Unit first or even a Lancaster Finishing School(although I'm not sure how well established these were in 1943), it might make your timescale a little tight but by no means impossible.From the crew list in Chorley BCL Vol 4 your man seems to have been the M/U Gunner
    Regards
    Dick

abingdonman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Hi Steve
    Just in case you don't have this already.CWGC gives his full name as Edward George Havelock Day but doesn't give an age. He is buried at Hanover. His Captain was P/O J E Hay RAAF but his casualty file has not yet been made available on the National Archive of Australia.It was not entirely the norm to go from OTU to Sqn, there would have been time spent at a Heavy Conversion Unit first or even a Lancaster Finishing School(although I'm not sure how well established these were in 1943), it might make your timescale a little tight but by no means impossible.From the crew list in Chorley BCL Vol 4 your man seems to have been the M/U Gunner
    Regards
    Dick
    hi Dick
    I agree,i reckon it would have been a bit tight,of course he could have travelled to the Oxford area while based elsewhere!
    but it would have been interesting to see an age because this fella was apparantley in his late 30s...
    thanks anyway
    Steve