Thread: Spitfire HF IX serial PV312, 124 Sqn

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Spitfire HF IX serial PV312, 124 Sqn

I am trying to determine the code letter assigned to this aircraft. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

John Bennett

Thanks

It was "O".

John

Thanks

Thanks John

Thanks

John

I feel that I should respond to you and JohnE regarding the Squadron code letter of PV312. I flew this aircraft for two dive bombing sorties on both March 23 and 24th 1945, and my logbook shows the code letter D, not O. I have checked with a magnifying glass on the relevant page of my logbook and the letter distinctly appears as a D. My son has passed a copy of logbook entries for these sorties to John E, and with great respect to John, I suspect that he has misread the D for an O. I feel my logbook is sufficiently clear on this point.

I hope this information is of some help,

Keith Lawrence.

Thanks

Hello Keith

Thank you for the clarification. My interest in 124 Sqn rests with my son-in-law - his grandfather was GW Scott, who I believe was the CO when you flew on the squadron. I thought that PV312 was the aircraft that he flew frequently but it was actually PV392. Do you happen to know the code letter for 392?

John Bennett

Thanks

Hello Keith.

Thank you for the correction. I have checked with my copy and it is clear that I have misread the letters (especially one of them looks very much like an "O" though).

John Engelsted

Thanks

G.W. Scott often flew PL392 (not PV392), but I don't have the code for it.

John Engelsted

Thanks

Hello John and John

I am one of Keith's sons, and am sitting with my father and looking at your replies. John B - I'm sorry we can't help, and John Engelsted is amongst your best sources for this type of information. Unless Keith flew a particular aircraft, it would not of course appear in his logbook, so we can't help with this query. John E - good to hear from you again. I agree that one of the logbook entries does look more like an O than a D, but the others are clearer, even if the handwritten entries have small script. So, an easy mistake to make.

John B - stating the obvious, George Scott's logbook would of course be your best source, but I assume that this is not available to you. Are you or your son-in-law aware of the Operations Records Books (ORBs) of all (most?) WW2 squadrons, available in The National Archives in London and on-line? If not, for the payment of a small fee, you may find some very interesting information on the sorties flown by 124 Squadron in the ORB.

Best wishes,

Geoff L, on behalf of Keith.

Thanks

Geoff

Thank you very much for the reply and contact information. It has been an honour to correspond with your Dad - please pass on my regards to him

John