Thread: 451101 - Unaccounted Airwoman & Airmen - 01-11-1945

Thanks

Default 451101 - Unaccounted Airwoman & Airmen - 01-11-1945

Hello,

451101 - Unaccounted Airwoman & Airmen - 01-11-1945

From Henk's List -

WAAF
    HOLDEN, Patricia Cora - LACW - 423634 - WAAF - Richmond Cemetery, Surrey.

UK
    KNOWLER, Frederick John - Sqn/Ldr - 13204 - RAFVR - Cirencester Cemetery, Gloucestershire.
    NICHOLS, Alfred Edward - Cpl - 540396 - RAF - Bishop's Hatfield (St. Luke ) Churchyard, Hertfordshire.

From CWGC & Geoff's sites -

AUSTRALIA
    COLLINS, William Edward - F/O - 427848 - RAAF - Moruya Cemetery, New South Wales, Australia - [ Anson I - EG446 - 5 SFTS ]
    FRASER, Alan James - F/O - 413850 - RAAF - Moruya Cemetery, New South Wales, Australia - [ Anson I - EG446 - 5 SFTS ]
    MILLER, Jack - F/S - 440045 - RAAF - Moruya Cemetery, New South Wales, Australia - [ Anson I - EG446 - 5 SFTS ]
    SCOTT, Allan Murray - LAC - 71518 - RAAF - Moruya Cemetery, New South Wales, Australia - [ Anson I - EG446 - 5 SFTS ]
    SHADE, Thomas cyril - LAC - 69966 - RAAF - .Moruya Cemetery, New South Wales, Australia - [ Anson I - EG446 - 5 SFTS ]
    SNOW, Darrell Francis - LAC - 134514 - RAAF - Moruya Cemetery, New South Wales, Australia - [ Anson I - EG446 - 5 SFTS ]

Anson I, serial number EG446 crashed 2 miles North of Moruya LG. It was reported that a wing fell off shortly after take off. .

INDONESIA
    COATES, David Harrison - LAC - 1232103 - RAFVR - Jakarta War Cemetery, Indonesia.

SINGAPORE
    HOPWOOD, Lewis - W/O - 1125666 - RAFVR - Kranji War Cemetery, Singapore.
    MANSFIELD, Henry Frederick - AC1c - 3009085 - RAFVR - Kranji War Cemetery, Singapore.
    REAKES, Thomas Bloomfield - LAC - `1410910 - RAFVR - Kranji War Cemetery, Singapore.
    VENN, Francis Albert - LAC - RAFVR - Kranji War Cemetery, Singapore.

Alex

Thanks

Hi

UK
    HOLDEN, Patricia Cora - LACW - registered in Bridgend.
    KNOWLER, Frederick John - Sqn/Ldr - registered in Swindon.
    NICHOLS, Alfred Edward - Cpl - registered in Hitchin.

INDONESIA
    COATES, David Harrison - LAC - 2943 Sqn RAF Regiment.

SINGAPORE
    HOPWOOD, Lewis - W/O - 99 Sqn, also Sgt F V Simmons
    MANSFIELD, Henry Frederick - AC1 - 7099 SE.
    REAKES, Thomas Bloomfield - LAC - 7099 SE.
    VENN, Francis Albert - LAC - 7099 SE.

Malcolm

Thanks

Re: the Singapore casualties.

REAKES - the National Probate Calendar entry states that he died in the Cocos Islands.

HOPWOOD - the National Probate Calendar entry states that he died "on or since November 1 on war service."

Sgt F.V. Simmons of 99 Sqn mentioned by Malcolm is Frederick Victor Simmons, 974060.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

The Kranji Cemetery, Singapore burials (in collective grave1-5, Plot 12, Row C) -

W/O Lewis HOPWOOD,
    AC1 Henry Frederick MANSFIELD,
    LAC Thomas Bloomfield REAKES,
    LAC Albert Francis VENN, and
    Sgt Frederick Victor SIMMONS, 99 Squadron

- were all buried originally on the Cocos Islands and re-interred at Kranji on 30 May 1946.

I believe this relates to an off-duty accident on the Cocos Islands involving a home-made raft which is mentioned in at least two places in ‘Signed with their Honour’, the history of 355 and 356 Squadrons:

Frank Tinsdale account (pg 265): ‘Swimming inside the reef was safe but beyond the reef teemed with sharks. Six (sic) men were lost in the very early days when they venture over the reef in a home-made raft. The single leg found had to serve for the burial of all six (sic).’

Joe Carberry account (pg 282): ‘I also convened Courts of Inquiry for missing airman off the reef at the Cocos…’

I’d be very grateful for any extra information that confirms W/O HOPWOOD as a member of 99 Squadron (as per Malcolm’s post), and clarification of the note ‘7099 SE’ against MANSFIELD, REAKES and VENN.

Regards,

Geoff
    Last edited by Smith 565; 28th October 2019 at 10:00. Reason: formatting problem

Thanks

Hi Geoff

Hopwood is mentioned in the 99 Sqn ORB but the same document only confirms the loss of four airmen not five or six.

The others are listed as 7099 SED on the GRO returns

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm, I'll have to keep digging on this one.

There is another account published somewhere which mentions the incident, but it's eluding me at the moment!

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks

Still haven't found the account I was looking for, but for some further information on the Cocos Islands incident, the following verbatim from 99 Squadron ORB (AIR27/791/23) for November 1945:

'The opening of the month was mared by an incident which shocked the whole Station. Two airman were out fishing on a raft when it drifted into the breakers. A rescue attempt was made and F/Sgt Hopwood of this unit was presumed to have lost his life. Rescue attempts were made by ASR launch and the ASR aircraft flew over the scene. Airmen on the raft were finally rescued by the Sqdn Adjt F/O Ward and the Sqdn MO F/Lt Page who reached the now remaining airman on the raft in a rubber dinghy. In all four airman are now missing believed drowned.

6th. A memorial service was conducted with great solemnity at the scene of the recent tragedy. Service was conducted by the Padre.' ...