Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/Sgt W LANGSTAFF, P.o.W.

Thanks

Default F/Sgt W LANGSTAFF, P.o.W.

Hello everyone

The above airmen is listed in a memorial service program for Dame Allan's School in Fenham, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, from 1950. He is listed as being a returned P.o.W., and I'm trying to see if I can find out the circumstances behind his capture.

I found a William Langstaff who was born in 1923 in Newcastle. I've downloaded Air 78/94, and only likely matching Langstaff is William Langstaff, Service No. 1523091. That would indicate April 1941 in Padgate, (I think that's right?), so that would tie in date-wise.

There's no matching Langstaff in the Flight Magazine Casualty Communiques as far as I can see from 1941 to the end of the war, and nothing in Ross's P.o.W. list on here.

So, could anyone suggest an avenue to explore to find out more?

Many thanks,

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon,

I had a look in Oliver Clutton-Brook book on Bomber Command's pow and he is not there also. So he was not in Bomber Command. ON the CWGC site there are no William's. There is a Kenneth William and he died in 1943 while with 44 Sqn and is remembered on the Runnymede Memorial.

Good luck with you search.

John.

Thanks

Simon,

If he was a returning POW, released at the end of the war, he more than likely completed a Liberation Questionnaire and l will have a look next time l am at Kew.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Could it be Longstaff? There is only an A. Longstaff in the PoW list, 1450372, which is on the list as Cardington >Apr 1941. Looking at births from 1915 to 1925 there are very few outside of the north east.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure it is Langstaff. I found two William Langstaffs on family trees on ancestry.co.uk, both born 1923, one from Liverpool, the other from Newcastle. I've have dropped a line to the owner of the one from Newcastle just on the off chance.

Nick - thanks for offering to help once again, I'd be grateful if you could find anything the next time your up at Kew.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Okay, I have some more information via ancestry.co.uk.

He was a bomb aimer in a Lancaster, shot down (over Germany?) sometime between June 1944 and spring 1945. He was a P.o.W. at Stalag VII/A until it was liberated in April 1945. I've been given a number (his P.o.W number?) of 147289. I haven't been able to find out his Squadron though.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello

Sorry for lateness... I have him as William LANGSTAFF, service number 1523091. 10 Squadron. Born 3 February 1923, joined 6 July 1942. Was an apprentice fitter and turner. Private address was in Newcastle-on-Tyne. Captured at Horbach (Morbach ?) on 21 February 1945. Camp III in Nuremberg in March 1945, then IIIA at Moosberg in April, from his PoW questionnaire at Kew. I only have the first page.

HTH

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 19th January 2016 at 23:06.

Thanks

Joss

Thanks so much, that's definitely him. Chorley has Halifax III NR189 ZA-Z, lost on an op to Worms, all crew P.o.W., but he has N. W. Longstaff, rather than W. Langstaff.

Regards,

Simon

Edit:

ORB Form 541 confirms A/B as W. Langstaff. Crew as follows:

F/S R. L. Parsons, Captain
    Sgt J. Oakes, Navigator
    Sgt. W. Langstaff, A/B [Chorley has N. W. Langstaff]
    Sgt H. Jones, W/Op [Chorley has H. T. S. Jones]
    Sgt. A Colville, M/U
    Sgt R. Palmer, F/E
    Sgt R. Jarvis, T/G [Chorley has R. W. Jarvis]

Took off 16.49 from Melbourne. Missing. Nothing heard of aircraft after take off.

Chorley lists them all as P.o.W.

Does the P.o.W. questionnaire give any clue as to the cause of the loss of HR189 Joss?
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 20th January 2016 at 00:05. Reason: added ORB info

Thanks

Hi Joss,

Dr Theo Boiten does not have a match to a claim by a night fighter as most on this night do not have a match. HTS Jones evaded capture where as all the others were made pows.
    Regards,

John.

Thanks

Thanks for the info John. After a bit more digging, it looks like they were the victim of a night-fighter:

Sgt H. T. S. Jones is Herbert Thomas Samuel Jones, S/N 1851549. He was awarded the D.F.M. for his part in the events and his subsequent evasion. Citation from the LG, June 15th 1945:

1851549 Flight Sergeant Herbert Thomas Samuel JONES, R.A.F.V.R., 10 Sqn.
    This airman was the wireless operator (air) in an aircraft detailed to attack Worms one night in February, 1945. Shortly after the target had been bombed, the aircraft was struck by a burst of machine-gun fire from an enemy fighter. A fire started in the fuselage. Although the aircraft was in a fairly steep dive, Flight Sergeant Jones turned his attention towards quelling the flames. After a strenuous effort he succeeded in so doing. The enemy fighter came in again, however, and inflicted further damage. Another fire commenced. This time it was impossible to extinguish the flames. The crew were forced to leave by parachute. Although he came down in enemy territory, Flight Sergeant Jones evaded capture and eventually arrived back in this country. This airman, who has participated in many sorties, has invariably displayed a high degree of skill, courage and determination.

Regards

Simon