Thread: Jack Tingle

Thanks

Default Jack Tingle

Trying to find information on Officer Cadet Jack Tingle, R.A.F., who was accidentally killed while flying on 10 January 1950.

Jack was married to Joan Ellen nee O'Keefe.

Any help or pointers will be much appreciated

Carol

Thanks

Carol

The Leicester Daily Mercury of January 13th 1950 reports on the inquest into the deaths of Officer Cadet Jack Tingle and Pilot George Edmonds who were killed when their training aircraft crashed at Hockwold, 10 miles east of Thetford. An eyewitness stated that the aircraft was flying normally when the engine revved up and it nose dived into the ground. A verdict of misadventure was recorded by the Coroner.

Cross-checking in 'Broken Wings' by James J Halley, the aircraft seems to have been Prentice T.1 VS287 of 1 F.T.S. crashed at Blackdyke Farm, Hockwold, 1/2 mile SE of Feltwell.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks very much, that adds more to the information I already have on him.

Cheers

Carol

Thanks

Tingle was 24 and Pilot I George Edward Edmonds was 27.

The RAF Form 1180 says the aircraft was seen to dive vertically into the ground but the cause remains obscure.

There are several ways to find out more about Jack Tingle.

First, you can try to obtain his record of service, although this might be fairly brief. It is unclear what he did before entering pilot training but having been born in 1925/26 - let me know if you want a birth record traced - he might have done National Service or been deferred because of his profession. Second, on payment of a fee, there is something called the Defence Publications Scheme which is managed from the Air Historical Branch at Northolt. This provides a search of documents to find what the RAF still has on this man. Again this might be fairly modest. His name should appear in both the Roll of Honour at St Clement Danes Church in the Strand and also on the wall at the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas, Staffordshire (just south of Burton on Trent).

The reference to the Leicester Mercury suggests that he or his instructor came from that area. You don't reveal anything about his widow nor the reason for you interest in Tingle but there are probably family or friends who are still alive - most likely brothers and sisters, who will be able to help.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Cheers,

Jack was living in my locale as his wife and her family were living there. He also married in a local church. His wife remarried.

Jack also was born in my area in 1925.

I know a little about his pre-service time but was curious by the cause of death written on his wife's family headstone.

Gentlemen, you have both added information which has been gratefully accepted, thank you

Carol