Thread: 97761 -A/Sgt Lester Colin Jeffery S.A.A.F - M.I.D - 1942 - Died 1944 - Help please

Thanks

Default 97761 -A/Sgt Lester Colin Jeffery S.A.A.F - M.I.D - 1942 - Died 1944 - Help please

Hello there,

I wonder if anyone out there could help me or give me some pointers to find out a few questions I have about the following service man.

97761 Lester Colin Jeffery looks to have been posted to number 3 Fighter Squadron. He was mentioned in dispatches (London Gazette entry - June 11th 1942) I also have another listing which I do not understand (DA.G. (P) 801/8/14.7.42) ? He seems to have been promoted from T/A CPL 1.7.42 then again to A/SGT 15.9.42 then T/A/SGT 1.7.43.

Firstly what does the T stand before before the rank please ? why does it appear to go from Air Sgt to then T / Air Sgt ?

I cannot seem to find any reference as to why he was awarded the M.I.D apart from one possible link found from a Kingswood College where he must have attended as a boy as he is listed on the school memorial. After his name it states "Mentioned in Dispatches,Crash Boats 1944.

This is the first time I have attempted to research a South African Serviceman so is anyone able to help me with any information or directions please ?

Lester died on 30th March 1944, his cause of death is listed as Cerebral Hemorrhage.

I would really like to put Lester's service back together if I can and would be grateful for any help or information you could assist with.

Thanks in advance
    Kind regards
    Brett

Thanks

Hi Brett,

The T stands for temporary. For his service record write to
    Department of Defence
    Documentation Centre
    Private Bag X289
    Pretoria 0001
    South Africa.

It does take a few months but it is a free service.

Good luck

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Thank you John

Will draft a letter to them this morning and see how I get on.

Thanks again
    Kind regards
    Brett