Thread: RAF Bases in Hamburg Germany 1949 - 1952

Thanks

Default RAF Bases in Hamburg Germany 1949 - 1952

My father was a Senior NCO Armament Fitter stationed in the Hamburg area in the period 1949 to 1952. We lived in a requisitioned apartment in Fass Weg off
    Kellinghusenstrasse, Hamburg-Eppendorf, which remarkably still exists and I found on Google Earth Street view. I attended the British Military School Hamburg. My mother often referred to RAF Altona but I have not been able find a record of an RAF unit in Altona, only an RTO unit. I am certain my father was stationed on a Maintenance Unit rather than a flying station.
    I would appreciate any help anyone is able to offer.
    Roger Bevan ex 40th Entry GWM

Thanks

Hi,

No 431 Equipment Depot was at Altona by 19.10.48 until disbandment "18.10.53".

No 401 Air Stores Park formed 1.7.50 at Altona supposedly out of the disbanding No 431 Equipment Depot (but note date quoted above is different). 401 left for Eindhoven 8.52.

Whats an Air Stores Park?........"to handle aircraft equipment and spares for frontline squadrons, often mobile".

Information gleaned from Ray Sturtivant s epic RAF Training and Suport Units, Air Britain.

Hope of some use, Peter

Thanks

Hello Peter, Thank you for your kind and informative reply. I will follow-up these leads and let you know if indeed this was where my father was stationed. It seems highly likely.

Roger

Thanks

After completion of my basic training at RAF Melksham, in March 1953 I was posted to RAF Altona 431 ED. Later that year I was transferred to RAF Wildenrath 402 ASP. As Peter Colwill says in his post of July 2011, ASPs function was to provide spares for frontline Squadrons. This necessitated most personnel being required to drive 3 ton trucks usually Bedford QLs or Thornycrofts. So at the age of 18 I was driving a rather large vehicle on the "wrong side" of the road with no electronic indicators other than on the driver's side, an arm sticking out of the window. On the passenger's side in the case of the Bedford a lever on the dash which by a length of wire was connected to the indicator consisting on a piece of metal painted white with a blob of red paint on the end.
    Back to Altona. From memory I believe this was originally a cavalry barracks probably built in the late 1800's. Doubt whether its there now but it was situated opposite the "Volkspark" stadium which I believe still exists and could be seen from the upper floors of the main building.
    Last edited by Croydonian; 17th June 2016 at 09:33.

Mandurah, 50 miles south of Perth WA on a retirement estate owned by the RAAF Association
    Thanks

PADRE202 I have not quite got how this web site works but I was a lowly Clerk Equipment Accounting at 402 ASP from January 1951 to September 1952. I am sure that Altona was a cigarette factory before the war. In 1980 my wife and I toured Germany and many of the old places I had been to during my RAF days and we came to Altona. Everything was just as it was in 1951/2 We talked to the guards at the gate and we were entertained to lunch in the factory's canteen. I would like to keep in touch with others interested in those days at RAF Altona. PADRE202

Quote Originally Posted by Croydonian View Post
    After completion of my basic training at RAF Melksham, in March 1953 I was posted to RAF Altona 431 ED. Later that year I was transferred to RAF Wildenrath 402 ASP. As Peter Colwill says in his post of July 2011, ASPs function was to provide spares for frontline Squadrons. This necessitated most personnel being required to drive 3 ton trucks usually Bedford QLs or Thornycrofts. So at the age of 18 I was driving a rather large vehicle on the "wrong side" of the road with no electronic indicators other than on the driver's side, an arm sticking out of the window. On the passenger's side in the case of the Bedford a lever on the dash which by a length of wire was connected to the indicator consisting on a piece of metal painted white with a blob of red paint on the end.
    Back to Altona. From memory I believe this was originally a cavalry barracks probably built in the late 1800's. Doubt whether its there now but it was situated opposite the "Volkspark" stadium which I believe still exists and could be seen from the upper floors of the main building.

Mandurah, 50 miles south of Perth WA on a retirement estate owned by the RAAF Association
    Thanks

Further to my earlier post. Earlier in this discussion there was mention of 401 ASP moving to RAF Eindhoven in August 1952 and that the following year 402 ASP moved to RAF Wildenrath. I wonder if this was based on a concern that ASP's should be mobile. It might also be linked to something that happened at Easter 1952. With some of my mates we had leave to go to Berlin but it was cancelled without explanation and within the next fortnight we were having arms training and even bayonet practice. Some were offered the chance to learn to drive the Bedfords and the Thornycrofts. I thought they were 5 ton trucks but you might be right saying they were three ton. I think all this happened because there was a scare that the Russians were again going to close the borders as they did in 1947/8 with the Berlin Air Lift. Anyway it did not happen and later in the summer we went on leave to the Mohne See Leave Centre, Do you or any others remember this ? PADRE202

Quote Originally Posted by Croydonian View Post