Thread: F/O G.C. Wright 106 Sqn RAF?

Thanks

Default F/O G.C. Wright 106 Sqn RAF?

Morning folks - I'm new to this forum, and also to researching into the RAF, but have come across a fabulous old sturdy wooden box, painted black, which looks to have been used to store ammunition / tools / kit. The faded remnants of a paper sticker on the inside lid show that it was German in origin, although what remains of the Germanic writing is too tiny and faded to suggest as to the box's former use. But, at some point it has come into the possession of the RAF. The lid is beautifully painted up with the following: "106 F/O G.C. Wright RAF". On the inside lid is crudely scratched "1133672 J" and "RAF Prov HQ MEF". Love mysteries like this, but (admittedly cursory) attempts to track Wright down on ancestry and through the national archives have proven unsuccessful as I am not NOK. What other routes could I use to find out more about Wright? I'm presuming he was a member of 106 Sqn. Also, do forum members think that the scratches inside the box are linked to Wright, or to a previous (or subsequent) owner? I'd speculate RAF Prov HQ MEF could be short for RAF Provincial HQ Middle Eastern Force, but that does not correlate with 106 Sqn history. Would be really grateful for thoughts / advice from forum members! Many thanks, Fi

Thanks

Hello,

The following might, I stress might, be connected:

ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE.
    Administrative and Special Duties Branch.

The undermentioned are granted commissions for the duration of hostilities as Acting Pilot Officers on probation:-
    29th August, 1941.

Geoffrey Clement WRIGHT (106415)

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...5292/page/5666

Note first three digits of service number.

Col.

Thanks

RCAF Service Numbers frequently have the letter 'J' within individual identities, another possibility....... J1133672

Thanks

That's a red herring, Colin, unfortunately.

By war's end, RCAF R-prefix NCOs, KIA, who were commissioned posthumously we're only in the J90000-J99999 range of numbers, never as high as seven digits.

Dave

Thanks

You can also try RAF Officer numbers 67031 and 157386 in the London Gazette.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Great, thank you lovely forum members for these thoughts and advice.
    Col Bruggy - like your suggestion very much, but there is plenty of space on the box after 106 for the rest of the service number to have been painted on, so don't know why he wouldn't have? And the LG only shows him reaching the rank of P/O (although it does show him being granted the use of F/O rank on relinquishing his commission in 1954). So, he is a possibility, but not my strongest lead at present.
    Colin, Dave - RAF is painted onto the box, so while I like the elegance of J and RCAF, don't think it fits this time around. But thank you.
    Peter - thank you for the 2 new service numbers (which on investigation turned up a third!). Of these 3, 2 are iffy (dates and ranks), but one does fit nicely - your 67031, who commissioned from Sgt and was a F/O 2/4/42-2/4/43 until promoted Flt Lt. So, I think he's my strongest possibility. He was also awarded the AFC (gazetted 31/8/43) - would this lead to further records being held on him which are accessible? Likewise (and on the hunch that 106 refers to his Sqn number), are Sqn manning records held anywhere which could provide a cross-fix / dismiss the link?
    Many thanks again folks, much appreciated. Kind regards, Fi